Would the Velo. CHT 12 do the job ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin.M, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Kevin.M

Kevin.M Auditioning

Hi,

I am in the UK and some of your really good kit is starting to make it's way over here ( very slowly though )

My room measures approx 16'L x 15'W x 7.5'H. I have the Denon 3802 ( model number maybe different in the US ) and i have 3 x M&K K-7's across the front with 2 x K-4's at the sides. I now need a new sub and the Velodyne's are getting good reviews over here. Finding a dealer is rare so i can,t really demo. the product, hence i need ome help.

I listen to and watch approx 80% movies and 20% music. Yes i like bass to be low, tight and controlled, not loose and flabby. So will the CHT 12 give me the 'THWACK' that i'm looking for?
    The CHT 12 just falls to my budget for price and size. The SVS range of subs unfortunately are not available here !

Many thanks for your help.
    Kev

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    Yes a CHT-12 will work well in that environment. Another choice that may be available is the SPL series. Also a nice woofer in the Velodyne line. Will be a bit more expense, but could be worth the extra to you.

3. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Kevin

You can't go wrong with a Velodyne. My room size is as
    follows : 23'L x 17'W x 9" H and I am using Velodyne
    VA810XII.An 8" front firing woofer and 10" down firing woofer sub,100 watts peaking at 250watts.

Although it's out of production model but it sure rock
    with the likes of Saving Pte Ryan and Lord of the Rings.

The CHT series are their latest models and worth considering.

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I have a CHT-12 and it is excellent.

5. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

I have the CT-120 (predecessor to CHT-12), and I have been quite happy with it. However, from what I have read, the HSU Research VTF-2 is perhaps a better sub for the dollar. I can't complain because I got a used CT-120 for $320, and it's harder to find used Hsu's. But if the price is the same, the Hsu may be superior. Can anyone confirm this from experience?

The bottom line is that the Velodyne is very convincing, though it may have less detail. The monkey wrench is that room acoustics can make it very difficult to know the difference between a subwoofer inaccuracy and a room glitch. Your room has resonation frequencies at 35, 38, and 75Hz (according to wavelengths), where you will get a real boost near the walls (floor for 75Hz).

-Cooper