What's new

Would the Velo. CHT 12 do the job ? (1 Viewer)

Kevin.M

Auditioning
Hi,

I am in the UK and some of your really good kit is starting to make it's way over here ( very slowly though )

My room measures approx 16'L x 15'W x 7.5'H. I have the Denon 3802 ( model number maybe different in the US ) and i have 3 x M&K K-7's across the front with 2 x K-4's at the sides. I now need a new sub and the Velodyne's are getting good reviews over here. Finding a dealer is rare so i can,t really demo. the product, hence i need ome help.

I listen to and watch approx 80% movies and 20% music. Yes i like bass to be low, tight and controlled, not loose and flabby. So will the CHT 12 give me the 'THWACK' that i'm looking for?
The CHT 12 just falls to my budget for price and size. The SVS range of subs unfortunately are not available here !

Many thanks for your help.
Kev

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin
Yes a CHT-12 will work well in that environment. Another choice that may be available is the SPL series. Also a nice woofer in the Velodyne line. Will be a bit more expense, but could be worth the extra to you.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin

You can't go wrong with a Velodyne. My room size is as
follows : 23'L x 17'W x 9" H and I am using Velodyne
VA810XII.An 8" front firing woofer and 10" down firing woofer sub,100 watts peaking at 250watts.

Although it's out of production model but it sure rock
with the likes of Saving Pte Ryan and Lord of the Rings.

The CHT series are their latest models and worth considering.

Cooper_B

Agent
I have the CT-120 (predecessor to CHT-12), and I have been quite happy with it. However, from what I have read, the HSU Research VTF-2 is perhaps a better sub for the dollar. I can't complain because I got a used CT-120 for $320, and it's harder to find used Hsu's. But if the price is the same, the Hsu may be superior. Can anyone confirm this from experience?

The bottom line is that the Velodyne is very convincing, though it may have less detail. The monkey wrench is that room acoustics can make it very difficult to know the difference between a subwoofer inaccuracy and a room glitch. Your room has resonation frequencies at 35, 38, and 75Hz (according to wavelengths), where you will get a real boost near the walls (floor for 75Hz).

-Cooper

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks