Would the RP82 be an upgrade for me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arron H, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I am currently using a Toshiba SD5700 but am wondering if an RP82 would be a huge upgrade. I know that the Toshiba has the chroma bug and will not play SACDs. Beyond that, is there a huge overall audio/video quality difference between the RP82 and the SD5700 or would I need to step up to a more expensive player to notice a huge overall difference? The Toshiba would end up moving to the bedroom.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Arron,

Do you see the chroma bug and does it really bother you that much? If not, I don't think the RP82 would be much of an upgrade. The RP82 won't play SACD, it will play DVDA.

I have the cp72, 5 disc change version of the RP82 and I like it a lot. I've had one JVC progressive player and like the Panny's handling of video based stuff better than JVC's but have no experience with a Toshiba progressive scan model. I've had 2 interlaced Tosh players and they were quite nice.

In fact I've owned 4 players that had the "chroma bug" and never really noticed it.

If you were choosing your first progressive scan player I'd probably recommend the Panny over the Tosh, but if you're not hugely dissatisfied with the Toshiba it might make more sense to buy a cheap interlaced player for the bedroom.

3. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

I upgraded to the RP82 from the Tosh 5700, and have not regretted it. I will say this--I loved the 5700, and thought its user interface was wonderful (even compared to the Panny). But, if you have a large screen (over 50") and want superior picture quality, get the '82. By the way--my 5700 is now in the bedroom!

4. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Bryan and Steve, thanks for your replies. I have not really noticed the chroma bug on my 32" Panasonic and I have not been hugely disappointed with the Toshiba. The one thing that bugs be sometimes with the Tosh are momentary playback freezes. I have never had the Tosh completely lockup but those momentary pauses and resumptions are distracting. This is my biggest knock against the Tosh at this point.

5. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I've currently got a Toshiba SD-6200. I bought that unit on August 08, 2000 at a local high end A/V shop for $749.95 *sigh* After reading rave reviews of this Panasonic model... I feel as though I'm faced with the same dilemma as Arron. I'm still floored by the PQ of my SD6200. I think it's an awesome player and I've never, ever had any problems with it at all. I own approx. 220 DVD's and I've been a member of Netflix since June 2002... and each and every movie I've put in that thing has played with no problem at all.

Not sure how much more the PQ would be enhanced on the RP82? ...nonetheless, I think I'll hang onto my SD6200 until I want a player in the bedroom.

Scott.

6. Tom Borcherding

Tom Borcherding Auditioning

Arron,

you mentioned that you notice a momentary freeze when watching movies. I have read in other posts that this is common. I don't think it is a problem with the Toshiba it is a problem with most, if not all players. DVD's have two layers of data, and you may notice the pause when the player switches from reading one layer to the other.

Tom