What's new

Would the PLH403W be a wise choice? (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I am seriously considering a Samsung PLH403W. Now I realise that it is not digital but I seriously doubt that I will ever care about HDTV. Most of my viewing will be DVDs. I would really like a wide screen tabletop TV that is at least 40", but the thought of spending $2000 plus for a 40-42" screen leaves me cold. Would this be a good choice for me if I am going to be viewing mostly DVDs? Are there other good choices out there that will give me a table top widescreen TV at a price of $1500 or less?

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,
Is the PLH403W still available? This model was introduced in 1999. I've had mine since February 2000, paid about $2000 for it. The out-of-box picture quality was not that great, but after some tweaking, it looked pretty good. The biggest short coming is the black levels; they are not very good. This is hardly noticeable in a moderatly lit room, but can be distracting in a darkened environment. It really only affects a small percentage of material we watch. Most of the people who have seen ours think the picture is great and don't even realize it's a projection TV.

There is/was a newer version of this TV (PLK405W, I think)that may have slightly improved performance. I think that these days, you can get a much better RPTV in the $1500-$2000 range, but if you really want the small table-top foot print, the Samsung is about your only choice. In any case, I've been happy with mine overall, but I'm now thinking seriously of getting a 42" plasma since they have dropped to the $3000 to $4000 range.

If you end up buying the Samsung and are intertested in tweaking it a bit, let me know. I can send you some guidelines for tweaking the service menu settings.

Regards,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks