What's new

Would the Panasonic RP56 DVD player be good for my Sony XBR ? (1 Viewer)

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if this would be a good Progressive scan DVD player to go with my 32" XBR400 WEGA . (4x3 TV with 16:9 mode, 1080i HDTV ready... internal line doubler in this model doesn't do 3:2 pulldown like the latter models...)
Right now, I have a PS/2 (Horrible interlaced DVD player) hooked up to it as well as a PC(through S-video for now)...
I notice improvements if I play an anamorphic DVD(internal line doubler at work ), but I want a true progressive scan dvd player for my TV.
About the Panasonic RP 56, this is taken from Link Removed :
"There were a couple of minor issues: first, when we switch the player to forced Video deinterlacing, it turns off DCDi. Since DCDi is only useful on video material, this is clearly a mistake. However, since the Sage chip does such a good job of automatically selecting Video or Film mode, there's essentially no reason to ever manually switch modes. Also, like the Skyworth, this player has a small flicker in saturated colors because of the Sage's cross-color suppression filter being set too high. Panasonic could fix both of these issues with a firmware update; whether they will do so is anybody's guess.
The RP56 has no aspect ratio control at all for scaling non-anamorphic DVDs, and doesn't have an interlaced/progressive switch on the remote (it's on the front panel). If you have a TV that locks into Full mode with 480p signals, this may not be the player for you."
From the sound of the second paragraph of this section, I am not sure if this dvd player would be a good choice for use with my TV. What do ya's think ?

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
The aspect ratio control in the DVD player is an issue for those with a 16:9 set that locks in full screen on a 480p signal. What this means is that you would not be able to manipulate the aspect ratio of the picture on either the TV or the DVD player for a non-anamorphic letterboxed or 4:3 480p signal.
This isn't an issue for your TV. Being a 4:3 set with a 16:9 squeeze, it will only perform the squeeze on an anamorphic DVD. On any other DVD, the squeeze won't be performed and the aspect ratio will still be correct.

Users who are viewing this thread