Would the Panasonic RP56 DVD player be good for my Sony XBR ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_I, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if this would be a good Progressive scan DVD player to go with my 32" XBR400 WEGA . (4x3 TV with 16:9 mode, 1080i HDTV ready... internal line doubler in this model doesn't do 3:2 pulldown like the latter models...)
    Right now, I have a PS/2 (Horrible interlaced DVD player) hooked up to it as well as a PC(through S-video for now)...
    I notice improvements if I play an anamorphic DVD(internal line doubler at work ), but I want a true progressive scan dvd player for my TV.
    About the Panasonic RP 56, this is taken from www.hometheaterhifi.com :
    "There were a couple of minor issues: first, when we switch the player to forced Video deinterlacing, it turns off DCDi. Since DCDi is only useful on video material, this is clearly a mistake. However, since the Sage chip does such a good job of automatically selecting Video or Film mode, there's essentially no reason to ever manually switch modes. Also, like the Skyworth, this player has a small flicker in saturated colors because of the Sage's cross-color suppression filter being set too high. Panasonic could fix both of these issues with a firmware update; whether they will do so is anybody's guess.
    The RP56 has no aspect ratio control at all for scaling non-anamorphic DVDs, and doesn't have an interlaced/progressive switch on the remote (it's on the front panel). If you have a TV that locks into Full mode with 480p signals, this may not be the player for you."
    From the sound of the second paragraph of this section, I am not sure if this dvd player would be a good choice for use with my TV. What do ya's think ?

2. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

The aspect ratio control in the DVD player is an issue for those with a 16:9 set that locks in full screen on a 480p signal. What this means is that you would not be able to manipulate the aspect ratio of the picture on either the TV or the DVD player for a non-anamorphic letterboxed or 4:3 480p signal.
    This isn't an issue for your TV. Being a 4:3 set with a 16:9 squeeze, it will only perform the squeeze on an anamorphic DVD. On any other DVD, the squeeze won't be performed and the aspect ratio will still be correct.

3. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

Tony, I have a RP56 for $175 barely used if you want it.