Would the new onkyo 600 do these speakers justice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Joe, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

I am planing now to build a home thater system. For speakers I have descided to build DIY adire 281's. Vented for mains and a sealed for center. I am going to build Adire AV3's for surrounds maybe, but definately build a powered malestrom vented sub.

Now I came from the DIY forum to here to try to figure out what to power them with. The more I read the more I get confused. My priorities are 70% sound quality for music and 30% HT for movies. Now keep in mind I'm probably going to set up my system to sound best with music and however it sound with HT will be good enough given that I will prob turn up the bass a tad for action flics. I might go as far as to tweak my system with a rat shack spl meter and my computer but as far as going to great lengths to make sure my surround are dialed in perfectly, I just don't see myself doing that.Oh , my DVD/cd changer is a Sony DVP-NC600, $250 jobber.

Given all my parameters would anyone have an idea what reciever I would want to get given an $700 budget. I was thinking the new Onkyo 600 that's coming out or a Dennon 2802 if either of these has enough power.

Thanks for helping the new guy!

2. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

This is a question for Mike Knapp, I would think. (Or Dan Wiggins.)

You might want to ask this on hometheatertalk, but Mike shows up here sometimes too. Unfortunately, the topic won't really stand out as a question about the Adire DIY speaker kit and what sort of power you need to drive them.

It's also going to be impossible to rate the new Onkyo's until they are out and in somebody's hands.

-David

3. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    The 281's are 4 ohm speakers. Check the Onkyo and be sure it is rated into 4 ohms. I run the same front stage you are planning....you wont be sorry.

I would think hard about your sub if music is your primary concern. The Maelstrom may not be as well suited in the music department as a smaller driver (maybe the Tempest) but I have yet to experience a Maelstrom first hand so I may be all wet there.

Good luck!

Mike