What's new

Would the Kenwood 507 be better than my Yamaha 995? (1 Viewer)

Richard Watt

Agent
I have an old Yamaha RX-V995 that's about two years old. I never bought a 5.1 speaker setup, because I went back to living in a dorm before I could finish building a home setup. So I ended up using a pair of DCM 10" full-range floorstanders for the front. Well, I have sinced moved out and am on a small budget to improve my sound. I can get a 5.1 setup now too.
I saw the good reviews on the Kenwood HTB 504 system on accident and it got me thinking. I need a good set of speakers for fairly cheap and this came with a receiver as well. I noticed the DPL 2 addition too, which would be nice to have. With the going price of the Kenwood system at $370, would it be considered a "downgrade" from the Yamaha?
I realize some may question why I would buy another receiver if I already have one. Well, the cheapest 5.1 setup I liked is the Accoustic Research HC6, but it's $525. The Kenwood system is $150 cheaper AND comes with another receiver. I would probably sell the Yamaha then to have some extra money for a dvd player.
What would you suggest?
Richard

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Definitely get the Kenwood, loaded with goodies and sounds nice, for the money it's unbeatable.
------------------
Sean
"Self Realization....I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

EdS

Agent
Richard,

I think that the Kenwood HTB systems offer good value for the $$, but I also think that the Kenwood receiver that comes with the HTB would be a step down from the Yam 995. The Yam 995 was a very good receiver in it's price range (around $900, right) a few years ago. It may not have DPL2, but it has DD/DTS, some good ambience effects, and I would bet that the amps in the 995 are better than the amps in the Kenwood receiver. IMO, Kenwood can not offer a comparable receiver to a 995 in a HTB that includes speakers, powered sub and receiver for less than $500. It's a matter of economics, how could Kenwood offer all of this plus superior performance for about 1/2 the price of your Yamaha? You could always buy the HTB, compare the Kenwood receiver to your Yamaha, and keep the receiver you prefer and sell the other.

FWIW, I've seen some other decent HT speaker setups with powered subwoofer for around $500 from the likes of Energy, PSB, JBL, HTD, etc. One of these systems with your Yam 995 would probably outperform the Kenwood HTB. Don't get me wrong, I think the Kenwood is a very good value, my point is you already have a good receiver, spend your money on speakers.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I would agree with Ed on this issue.

The Yamaha should have quite a different sound than the Kenwood. The HTB speaker setup would not even compare to a Energy Take 5 system. I think if you bought the Energy speaker system and compared it to the HTB, there would be a BIG difference. But the only one who could make that determination is you.

Another thing to consider is, can you live without PL II? If you can, then the Yamaha is a no brainer.

Jeff

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Energy Take-5 with an 8" sub is available at B&M stores for $595, maybe less on the net, and is a great compliment to the Yamaha 995, which is imho a much better receiver than the one that comes with the Kenwood HTB. These speakers are also imho much better than the ones in the HTB.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I respectfully disagree with the last couple of posters, I think their claims that the amps in the 995 being better than the Kenwoods are unfounded. Todays Kenwood amp technology is pretty decent.
The HTB-504 is a HTB but you get the fully loaded, competitive 507 receiver which has 5 way binding posts(LCR)dts, PL2,S-video switching,it's loaded.Basically you get a great receiver that just begs for good speakers!
Yes the speakers are not that great, but the 507 responds very well to speaker upgrades, when you have the extra cash.
Besides I personally like the flatter sound of the Kenwood, I find the 995 and a lot of the Yamaha's rather bright.
Just going by my ears here, but I find the Kenwoods sound very nice these days, and the price makes them really attractive. And they look nice.

GregK

Screenwriter
I also have owned a Yamaha 995 for a few years, and have
been eying DPL-II long before it ever made it to the
shelves.
A few months ago when my Mom decided to move into 'home
theater', she asked me to pick her out a modest system.
And so I did.. with the Kenwood receiver/speaker/sub
combo, which has the Kenwood VR-507. Of course this also
gave me a chance to compare the two receivers in depth
when I visit.
I can give big thumbs up for what the Kenwood offers
for the price: S-Video switching, optical and coax
digital inputs, DTS, DD, and DPL-II (with the DPL-II
sub-settings intact) .. Circle Surround and some DSP
modes, 100 watts x 5, nice code-friendly remote.. etc..
But there's still some higher end perks on my slightly
older Yamaha that I've become used to, like an on-screen
display when adjusting speakers, checking surround mode
settings etc etc, or having a "REC out" selector to be
able to tape something from one source while watching
another. Pre-amp outs, which I use for my own home brew
EX surround set-up, are missing on the 507. :frowning: ..And
having separate DD/DTS LFE sub-menu levels controls along
with a final subwoofer adjustment (so many cheaper systems
-like the VR507- decide that all you need is a subwoofer
level control: WRONG!) is very nice.
I won't comment on the amps, because the speakers that
come with the Kenwood package are somewhat cheap. Still
great for my Mom's budget, but nothing that will really
show off whatever pluses or minuses the Kenwood amps have.
We all have our own needs and priorities, but as for me..
I've decided to wait and move up to a Yamaha DPL-II/DTS EX
discrete receiver later down the line. Maybe by then Dolby
will realize it's time to offer DPL-II in 6.1 EX as well. ;)

Allan F

Agent
I certainly would not debate the overall value of the Kenwood HTIB set but I have a hard time believing that the Kenwood at that price would perform as well as the Yamaha. IMO your money is better spent on a good quality set of speakers and stick with the Yamaha. No other component in the entire system actually produces sound and therefor no other component is nearly as important as the speakers.

Allan

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Go to Circuit City and get the Kenwood. Compare(sound quality, features, etc.) the Yammy to the Kenwood with the same speakers hooked up. If you have an SPL meter, use it to make sure the volume level is the same for both. If you pick the Yammy then take the Kenwood back and get your money back.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
Why not use what you've got as a starting point? Keep the DCM speakers as your left/right speakers, get a good center/surrounds/sub and you're good to go. This is basically what I'm doing with my Denon AVR-2700 and Cerwin Vega 10" floor standers...

Richard Watt

Agent
Mike,
I though about that, but I wasn't sure if I could get a good matching center speaker. Does that really matter all that much? What rears and center are you using or suggest?
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will keep the Yamaha and save some money for a dvd player and/or better tv. I'm using my computer as a tv right now.
Edit
What about this? I am looking at the Home Theater Direct Level 3 Center and a pair of Level 3 Mains (for rear). That way I will have a good temp setup that can still be used in the future when I move up. I would only have to get a pair of Level 3 Towers later on. Is that a good plan?

EdS

Agent
Richard,
If you are going to go for HTD Level 3 Mains & Center, I would suggest using the HTD for your front L/R/C and use the DCM's for surrounds. This way you have a seamless match across the front channels, the ears aren't as sensitive to different speakers used for the surrounds.
Another suggestion, if you are happy with your present DCM speakers, you could always look for a DCM matching center and surrounds. Since your present DCM's have 10" woofers, you may not need to add a subwoofer at this time. Not that a sub wouldn't be a nice addition, but it looks like you might have pretty good bass response with what you have now. You can go to the DCM website and check out what they have to offer for center and surrounds.http://www.dcmspeakers.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks