Would Superbits titles look better on my TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jul 17, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have the regular Fifth Element and Patriot SE and thinking about getting Anaconda(a guilty pleasure), but I don't have the Superbits versions. As some of you know my TV is a Mitsubishi 72 inch projection television. I also have an Apex AD-1500 DVD player connected to my TV through S-Video. So would Superbits DVDs look better on my setup, or should I just stay with the regular versions?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Doesn't that Mitsu have component-video connections? I believe you mentioned once that it's about six years old or so.

With that DVD player and the S-Video connection, you'd, at best, see a marginal improvement with the Superbit version. Only you can decide if the purchase is worth it to you.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What will have a MUCH better effect on your viewing is dumping the Apex deck and getting a nice Sony or Pioneer

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yes, the TV is about 6 years old. I'll have to check if it has component video output. And I do plan on getting a better DVD player in the future. The Apex is a huge improvement over using the Playstation 2, which I had to do for almost a year.

5. Jack Briggs

I agree with Jeff about the DVD deck. Not big on Apex.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The only good thing about the Apex is that it's hackable and plays virtually every format (VCD, SVCD...etc). Aside from that, it's quality sucks balls...imo.
    Of course this doesn't add anything to the conversation [​IMG]
    btw...I wouldn't worry about upgrading to superbits anyway.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Yeah, save the money from the Superbits discs and put it towards a progressive scan player. You won't see much difference (if any) with the Superbits discs through a S-video connection.

-Dave

8. Jack Briggs

Dave, I don't think his RPTV is prog scan-capable--it isn't the current or previous incarnation of Mitsu's 16:9 HD-capable display. But he could go ahead and get a prog-scan machine as a replacement anyway, and just use its interlaced output. The Sony 715, for example. Or the Tosh 4800. So when Stephen here upgrades to an ATSC-based design, he's all set. Under those conditions, also, he would notice a definite improvement in picture quality afforded by the Superbit releases. JB

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

YOu are much better off getting a good interlaced Panasonic DVD player with a component cable using Superbit. I have a 61" TV, so I'm in the same ballpark as you.

Sony's downcoversion is too soft; Toshiba too sharp; Panasonic just right. Pioneer ain't bad either. If the Panasonic RV80 was still around, I would tell you to grab that. I have one and it is by far the best interlaced player I have used.