What's new

Would SACD be worth the expense for Klipsch reference series? (1 Viewer)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Is there a certain price point which your speakers have to be in before you will hear a noticeble difference?
I have Klipsch RF-3s and a Denon 3801 which SACD would you recommend I look at, and where can you find SACD software to purchase online?
Aaron

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Try Elusive Disc for many SACD titles.
As for hearing the difference with pricer equipment-Thats a big can of worms.
I think you'll hear a differnce with your set up. and I would recomend the Sony CE775 at OneCall for a great price (under $400).
Good Luck
CC Rider
------------------

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Aaron,
If you want to try SACD, I would recommend the Sony SCD-CE775. I picked it up at my local dealer for $350. I would not pay $400 as you should be able to find it closer to $300 online. The 333es which is two channel only is a very good CD player and can be found for around $500 on clearance. Also the ES version 222es with multichannel and bass management will be available next month.
HMV.com in Canada has 2 channel discs for a good price and elusive disc has a good selection along with the multichannel discs.
As for software there isn't really too much available. I have some Billy Joel, Celine Dion, Journey, and James Taylor's Hourglass (which is in multichannel) among a few others. Another drawback is that the Sony discs are not hybrid so they won't work in your normal CD player, and you can't make any copies for the car via a CD-R.
The bass management in these players isn't the best IMO with the xover at 120Hz. For 2-channel I use the Denon 3801 in Analog Direct mode with the sub. The Denon has analog crossover for the mains and a digital crossover for the sub and it works reasonably well since the Denon xover is 80Hz with 21dB/octave slope on the sub LP.
For multichannel discs you will need to use the sub out and the SACD players crossover (if it has one). I can you tell you the the James Taylor multichannel disc sounds very good especially the bass which is surprising to me with the crossover. Also beware that the crossover in the CE775 does not work for CDs, but no problem there as the Denon works well.
S&V had a nice review of the CE775 a few months back.
Hope this helps,
Gil

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, I have heard the improvements afforded by SACD over CD with Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers that retail for mere $300 a pair. This is with stereo SACDs only. However, the better the speakers, the more apparent should be the differences if your amp is up to snuff. I just bought a pair of Totem Arro floorstanding speakers for music in my home theater, which are much better than my Energys. The differences between SACD and CD are more evident now.
In addition to the suggestions you have received for a good SACD player thus far, you might also consider one of the forthcoming Sony DVD/SACD players. The DVP-NS500V for $300 is an interlaced single-disc player that will play CD-Rs and stereo and multi-channel SACDs. The DVP-NS900V for $1000 is a progressive scan player. Finally, the DVP-NC650V for $400 is an interlaced five-disc carousel changer. Check www.crutchfield.com for more information on these players. Note that I quoted Crutchfield's prices for these units, but you should be able to get them cheaper from OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros. when they come out. I am looking to get a multi-channel SACD player and have been considering the Sony SCD-C222ES, which will retail for $800. It isn't a DVD player. Now, I am looking at the 'NC650V. It will retail for half the price of the 'C222ES and could replace my Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer. Rack space is getting limited, so being able to replace a DVD changer with an SACD/DVD changer is appealing. Truthfully, I don't expect the 'NC650V to be as good an audio component as the 'C222ES for a number of reasons, but hopefully it will be suitable.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Tim Flemke

Auditioning
I had Klipsch chorus2's with an EAD powermaster amp,B&K REF30,and Sony 9000es SACD. Back and forth over and over I really could not tell. Can you get a player to demo?
Take care
Tim Flemke

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks