What's new

would now be a good time for Fox to re-do Lost In Space DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Having tops of heads chopped off is the most distracting thing I've ever noticed in this kind of thing. Not to mention the fact that I fear we can lose part of on-screen graphics centered close to the bottom.

I can "accept" this for programs shot in the 90s when we were entering a transitional period but not for programs of this era.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
Having tops of heads chopped off is the most distracting thing I've ever noticed in this kind of thing. Not to mention the fact that I fear we can lose part of on-screen graphics centered close to the bottom.

I can "accept" this for programs shot in the 90s when we were entering a transitional period but not for programs of this era.
I can't believe that they'd be dumb enough to crop a show with a sci-fi fan base but if they're showing 1.78 footage, it sure seems like what they're doing. I guess there's no hope that Fox won't destroy the photography of The X-Files too.

Ugh, why would they pander to people who want to fill their screen when it'll only be fans- who by and large- want the correct photography?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
MBrousseau said:
Here's something really exciting :

All 83 episodes have been scanned in high definition and are near ready to be on blu-ray!
Thanks! That is fantastic. If its released on Blu-Ray, it would be nice to have the option to watch it 1:33, or 1:78. But even if its widescreen only its still an absolute must buy for me.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, they've tried releasing old shows in 1.78 and they never sell, so I'm guessing FOX is smart enough to release it in OAR.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The model has to be: OAR for DVD/Blu-Ray release, and 1.78:1 for broadcast stations like is done with FRIENDS and SEINFELD. I'm no fan of cropping top and/or bottom to make widescreen, but if they're careful in doing it, an adding in a little side information, I wouldn't mind watching it that way on TV. Just make sure the fans who are buying it aren't disrespected.

Harry

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Harry-N said:
The model has to be: OAR for DVD/Blu-Ray release, and 1.78:1 for broadcast stations like is done with FRIENDS and SEINFELD. I'm no fan of cropping top and/or bottom to make widescreen, but if they're careful in doing it, an adding in a little side information, I wouldn't mind watching it that way on TV. Just make sure the fans who are buying it aren't disrespected.Harry
Exactly, Harry. I don't care how it airs on TV, because I don't even watch TV anymore. But they better not think a bluray won't sell unless it's in cropped wide screen. That's a disservice to the fans of classic shows.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I loved that looney show, I have a couple of DVD box sets, but they do look ropey, so I'd love some remastered HD Blu's. I don't mind if they're 16:9. They filmed TV shows with a lot of headroom in those days & you lost a lot of picture area on a domestic telly, so with 16:9 I'd think you'd only lose a tiny bit of what we saw then, & there'd be a lot more picture info on the sides.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
IntoIt said:
Silly question, but did Fox themselves actually pay for these particular new remasters?
They were responding on the youtube message board, but they've removed most of the comments. I do believe they said earlier that Sheila Allen paid for these remasters, and I guess they're trying to get FOX to redistribute them.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
The comment about it is still available on Youtube. Kevin Burns said and I quote: "By the way, Sheila Allen and her partners paid to have this done themselves. The cost was enormous and took two years to get it done." ... "We are hoping to convince Fox to re-release LIS for the 50th Anniversary. No plans yet, but they're considering it." ... "These were scanned in such a way as to capture every bit of information- even cables, lights and microphones. Then we used this master to create both 1.33 and 1.78 versions." ... "As for the aspect ratio and other issues, we planned to distribute the 1:78 versions to cable television and VOD but are still debating what version is best on DVD or blu-ray."

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Many members here, that are in favor of a 1.33 4X3 ratio, suggested to those who prefer a widescreen version for Lost in Space in blu-ray, to use the zooming control of their 16X9 monitor. If we aply that theory to fit a widescreen TV, there is valuable area of the picture that is lost. I have conceived two examples that shows how much troncated the picture is when we use the zooming to fit 16X9 viewing from 1.33 OAR, compared to the 1:78.1 ratio the Synthesis Entertainment have carefully made from wider original masters.

comparaisonZoomed4X3vsWide.jpg

comparaison2-Zoomed4X3vs Wide.jpg

I am sure the Synthesis have conscientiously adapted the new widescreen framing to make the best of every shots for 16X9 presentation to make sure that we gain more than we lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks