Would my subwoofer give me better performance if I set it on a piece of wood?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeremy_SG, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Jeremy_SG

Jeremy_SG Auditioning

Right now I just have my down firing subwoofer sitting on the carpet but I’m wondering if it would give me better sound if I put it on a piece of ply wood or something hard so the carpet wouldn’t absorb the sound. Could you tell me what you think about this idea and if you think it would work? Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The carpet won’t absorb the sound.

3. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

quote:

"Right now I just have my down firing subwoofer sitting on the carpet but I’m wondering if it would give me better sound if I put it on a piece of ply wood or something hard so the carpet wouldn’t absorb the sound. Could you tell me what you think about this idea and if you think it would work?"

Unless the carpeting is preventing the down-firing bass driver from working properly (like somehow obstructing its back and forth motion), I think your sub is working just fine as is for so long as it performs properly changing the material where the sub sits on won't change its sound, so just enjoy the toy!...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

4. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

If you want to try something that may improve the sound, try getting some speaker spikes to go through the carpet and load the sub to the floor beneath. Now, you may or may not hear any difference from where you're sitting but any downstairs neighbors (if you have any) will surely inquire about your "new" sub.

5. jephdood

jephdood Stunt Coordinator

You could also try one of these.

6. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

what about a grantite slab or some other hard rock material? I read in a thread that a guy put one under his sub and he swears it improved the sound being produced by the sub. Any thoughts?

7. Michael Cawcutt

Jeremy,

I had the same dilemma and question you did. I have a 12" Optimus (yes i said Optimus [​IMG] it's been a damn good subwoofer) down-firing subwoofer. Like yourself I had real high shag carpeting in my apartment. Placing a piece of wood underneath won't give you "more" bass, but what it did for me, and probably you. Is it will enhance, and make the bass waves have more of an impact punch. The bass waves won't be as muffled, or "eaten" up in the carpet as I have experienced. I went to Menards bought some wood, half inch trim and some pvc piping. Measured, cut, painted and placed the original bass legs into my bass stilts [​IMG] I raised it about 5" and it didn't give me more bass, but the bass waves are more clearer and have a bigger punch. I can truly feel and hear the bass [​IMG]

Hope this works for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thats cool Michael, when I first saw the pictures I had no idea the stand under the sub was an add-on. Looks great and glad to hear it improved the punchiness

9. David Sailor

David Sailor Agent

I got the Gramma platform a few weeks ago after reading some posts. It is a piece of mdf covered in carpet and resting on some high density foam. It only raised the PB2+ a few inches off the floor so it's no more or no less intrustive than it's previous svelte profile.

I was anxious to test it after getting it under the sub, put in the Haunting and cranked it up. It sounded terrible!! There was absolutely no bottom end at all. I was prepared to change the light bulbs like in times past but... nothing. Then I realized that I had forgotten to turn the sub on :b After that, it sounded better.

What I did notice was a lot less of the buzzing and rattling from certains items in the house. During the door knock scene when they see their breath, the baseboard radiator buzzes like crazy and I have lost a light bulb. Now, no buzz and no broken filiments. This disassociation from the floor provided a noticable improvement for me. David

10. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

seems to make sense. I would also imagine if you are in an upstairs apartment that it would be less bothersome to the people below you as well...

I'd think the hard surface below the sub, like Michael did would add more punch though compared to a surface covered in any type of cushion or carpet. Of course this would also probably introduce more vibration into the floor though too, although not as much as when the sub is just sitting right on the floor.