Would my circut breaker, effect my HT ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angel K, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Angel K

Angel K Auditioning

I just built my new house with no basement. So my circut breaker box is on the first floor. I had planned on building my HT into a custom wall in front of this breaker box to cover it. I dont know if my HT, Big screen tv + Audio, will be effected, cause it will be right behind it. Any thoughts? Also if it will effect it, what can I do to fix it.
    Thanks for the help.
    Brian

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Angel,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    quote: I had planned on building my HT into a custom wall in front of this breaker box to cover it.[/quote]
    The first thing that comes to mind is, what are you going to do when you trip a breaker?
    ------------------
    My Equipment List
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on August 08, 2001 at 03:03 AM]

3. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Circuit breakers are magnetic devices. So don't get too close.

4. Angel K

Angel K Auditioning

Well as to what if. When I do trip one I guess I will have to pull out the TV to get to it. I really have no choice as to where I can locate the HT. As for dont get to close to it, how close would that be, and is that for the tv or audio as well?
    If it really is a bad idea, I might be able to put it on this other wall, but really want to avoid that. Is there anything that I can put in between them
    (circut breaker + HT) to make them work?
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Angel

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

How big is the room? Have you thought about building a wall a few feet away and create a storage area back there? You could use this to keep your equipment out of site but easily accessible and still be able to get to the circuit breaker. You'd also be far enough away to not worry about magnetic interference.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Extra

If you *block* access to the breaker box, you're almost certin to violate a whole slew of building codes and local laws...
    Can you possibly flip the entire HT 180-degrees? (ie, put the rear channels where you want to put the TV, build the 'wall' on the other side too?)
    Circuit brakers are magnetic in nature.... there will be some fields generated...
    That said, I have a 50A 240v subpannel in my 'edit' room, and there is a 21" CRT computer monitor not 4 feet away. it's fine. (and I'm picky [​IMG]
    Best!
    Ben.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ben Cannon
    Dream With Your Eyes Wide Open, Inc.
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives" --Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

7. Ted White

Ted White Agent

Ben is right on the money. If this is the main panel, you would be in serious code violation. If something ever happened, you're insurance company might refuse to pay out.
    Plus it's just not safe.
    Ted

8. Angel K

Angel K Auditioning

I really dont have a choice in the matter. The other wall, is kinda to small. As for code it will be built after I get the approval.