Would majoring in Chemistry be nearly the same as Chem Engineering?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LDfan, Jul 2, 2003.

1. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

My local college doesn't offer a Chemical Engineering program but after looking at the requirements for a BS in Chemistry they look pretty much the same. Same Math, Physics and Chem classes. Would a Chem degree be essentially the same thing?
    Someone once told me that another name for a physics major is a Electrical Engineer. Not sure if I agree with that one.

Jeff

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Chemistry and Chemical Engineering are two different beasts. Generally speaking an engineer will deal with processes involving Chemical materials and means of accomplishing these processes (reactors, vessels, heat exchangers, etc. etc), while the Chemist will deal almost exclusively with the chemical material. Not to over generalize, but a Chemist primarily works in the lab environment, while a chemical engineer works in the field.

For the first couple years basic class work in any Engineering discipline and chemistry is pretty much the same. You have your basic calculus, physics, and chemistry classes. When you getto your junior and senior years, you really get to start specializing in what you want to do for the future.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

4. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I majored in Chemical engineering and I can say that they are NOT the same.

The math requirements are similar, and you take many of the same chemistry classes but there are differences.

In chem eng you take many more classes dealing with practical application of chemical processes - things like heat & mass transfer, kinetics, thermodynamics, process design and optimization. I don't know for sure but chemistry is more based on theory and lab-scale stuff.

Feel free to email me if you would like to talk about it a little more.

Mark

B.S. Chem eng Syracuse University 1998
    M.S. Chem eng Syracuse University 2000

5. David-S

David-S Second Unit

your final year would probably be the big difference... as was said, chemistry=lab, chemE=plant

so if you want to get a BA and get a job, chemE would probably be a better choice, as many chem majors end up in academia...

(As a side note, allow me to push my alma mater and major http://www.mse.vt.edu/ materials engineering has a lot of chemistry in it, but it's also closely tied to more "traditional" engineering, like mechanical... fun major, you can do some cool stuff with it, email me davids at udel.edu if you have any questions... [​IMG]

6. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Generally, the job of an engineer (IMO) is twofold, and I'm going to illustrate that with a couple of figures. [​IMG]

First, the engineer must be able to translate science (theory) to technology (practice), illustrated with the "bridge" below.

[​IMG]

In addition to theoretic knowledge, the eng. must have an understanding of how stuff works in practice. It also requires good communication skills to translate between players on both sides of the bridge.

Second, the engineer must be able to put the technology into sociological context, illustrated with the "snake" below.

[​IMG]

This gives rise to the term socio-technical design, both narrow and broad, specified as:
    Narrow - who is going to use this technology, and how?
    Broad - what impact will this have on society in general?

The above means that the jobs of an eng. is extremely varied, and you have to deal with many different players in the proces. Therefore, two of the eng.'s main comptences must be the ability to learn and understand new material, and to be able to communicate this material!

That's all for now... [​IMG]

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

In my field (semiconductor manufacturing), I run across quite a few chemical engineers, but don't know of any chemists-proper. There's a big manufacturer in your area (Micron in Manassas), so depending on what you ultimately want, you could go speak to them about what they look for, but basically, these

8. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

9. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Someone once told me that another name for a physics major is a Electrical Engineer.

Hey, I knew EE majors who were asked why they were training to become electricians. [​IMG]

Those engineers- they love to change things. (McCoy)

10. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Generally, engineering is an "applied" science. Science is more pure if you know what I mean. Each has it place in the world.

A person with a science degree cannot become a professional engineer. Whereas as a person with an applied science or engineering degree can become a P.E. (US) or P.Eng. (Canada except Quebec where they have a different title).

David

11. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the info guys.

Jeff