What's new

Would love to see Leave it to Beaver DVD (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Did you know Whitey died a few months ago at the young age of 54? Just as he had been getting his life back together after being a homeless heroin addict for quite some time. He died of complications from a hernia operation. Isn't that awful? Read about it at www.litb.com.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Poor David. Yeah, I know. I'll post new release info weeks before it's announced, then someone will start a new thread when it's officially announced, I'll go, "Duh!" :angry:

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree. Larry really helped make those episodes hilarious. I think my favorite is where Beaver and Larry experiment with smoking a pipe. First they tried smoking the ashes and then they tried smoking coffee! This is another example of something you couldn't get away with in this day and age.

Smoking coffee! :laugh:

De

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Kind of a semi-related episode topic to "Beaver's Haircut" is one of my favorites, where Wally and a bunch of the other kids at school decide they're going to wear the new hip hairstyle that looks like Wolverine from the "X-Men" in a wind tunnel. As if the look of the hairdo isn't funny enough, every time Wally comes on screen early on in the show, they play this rousing jazz song to announce his hair's entrance. :laugh:

What's even funnier to me is when Beaver comes downstairs and has the exact same hairdo as Wally and his friends. As usual, the look on June's face is priceless.

I had no idea that Whitey had died. That's really sad. I always feel awful when I hear about people (especially child actors) from that era falling on hard times. They have given so much happiness to the viewers only to have none of their own. RIP Stanley.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

:laugh:
Yes indeed.
A great episode. One of the best!
Called "WALLY'S HAIRCOMB".

"I believe that particular hairdo is called....a "Jellyroll"."

"Ward, h-h-h-he just looks like a...a...a gangster!!" :laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
As someone mentioned earlier, a "toilet" was shown on screen in a LITB episode. I'd forgotten about that. In fact, we see a toilet tank in the VERY FIRST LITB ever aired ("Captain Jack") in October of '57. The boys use the toilet tank as an "aquarium" for their pet alligator.

However, I *don't* think we ever actually see the "seat" (bowl) of the toilet. Only the tank part is shown, IIRC. Still, very much ahead of its time.

Ward (after being nipped by the alligator) -- "You know, the little fellow didn't actually BITE me -- he kind of "Sawed" at me." :)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
It's really too bad that the sad excuse for a "Leave it to Beaver" remake movie came out before TV on DVD began to flourish. We missed out on a tie-in related release there. I still think it will be released before long due to it's popularity and timelessness.

Anyone remember the New Leave it to Beaver show from the '80s? I just vaguely remember it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall it too well either, Dane. I think I watched a couple of episodes. I do recall that Wally had married long-time g/friend Mary Ellen Rogers. And Eddie Haskell was married, to a lady named Gertrude.

And Eddie was still wise-cracking up a storm, sounding just exactly like he did 25 years earlier. :)

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
I do remember The New Leave it to Beaver (which continued the setting from the Still the Beaver made-for-TV movie and Disney Channel series) quite a bit actually. Beaver was divorced but had custody of his two sons, Kip and Oliver (whom everyone called Ollie). Kip was best friends with Eddie Haskell's son, who was just as smarmy as his father. Ward had passed away some time ago and June was now living with Beaver and the boys.

De

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This needs to be released soon!

I'm cleaning out my basement today and throwing out my videotape collection of all the Beaver episodes which I taped back in the mid-80s when I was living in the NYC metro area.

Did I mention they were on Beta?

:D

Does anyone know who owns the rights?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Mike F.! *waves*
smile.gif

#34 -- PEDRO BORBON. (Oops, wrong thread. LOL.)

Mike, Universal Studios owns LITB.

By-the-by, I just now checked the AMAZON Sign-Up page, and
a reviewer wrote .........

>> "Leave it to Beaver is coming to DVD. I don't know when this show will be out? But it's on the coming soon list that came with The Knight Rider DVD."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:But it's on the coming soon list that came with The Knight Rider DVD."

"Coming soon" sounds good--because the trash guys are going to be coming to my curb Tuesday morning. Even though I haven't popped those Beta tapes in the player for many years...LITB is one of my all-time favorite shows and the DVDs would get repeated playings at my house. I've been getting my "fixes" of the Cleaver clan on TVLand.

Dave: I am tempted to respond to PEDRO BORBON with BEAVER CLEAVER...although he was not too athletic and he lied to his dad about making the team...
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
The thing about this show is.... Beaver never learned a lesson he was taught... it was so annoying. June Cleaver was a role model, and still is, for mothers across America... we need more mothers like this.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I still watch it six days a week whenever I can. The episodes are in the last season now.

On Friday (I missed yesterday's episode) it was an episode in which apparently Lumpy gets an athletic scholorship to some school, the same one that Wally got a rejection letter about the same scholorship. Well Wally throws a party for him (what a sport) but during the party Lumpy gets a call from his father saying that he won't get it anymore because he got a D in Math. Things happen and in the end Ward arranges it so Lumpy would eventually get the scholorship.

I've also seen the feature film... it was alright. I liked the little homages to the old series, with Barbara Billingsley as the new Beaver's grandmother. And the tea And it was nice to see Ken Osmond as Eddie's father. But I did think some of the acting, except for the old characters was a bit overdone. They tried to hard to act like it was the 50s.

I also watched the TV movie from twenty years ago last year when it aired on TV. Pretty good. I found it funny that Eddie married someone names Gertrude. It was a nice nod to the name that Eddie always called Wally.

I like to watch LitB because its a nice way to look back to a time when you had a nice family sitcom that wasn't laced with blatant inenudo. I know that the show had some risque stuff but it wasn't as bad as half the filth we have on TV now. Kids these days should watch LitB and not what they watch on UPN now.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
quote:

On Friday (I missed yesterday's episode) it was an episode in which apparently Lumpy gets an athletic scholorship to some school, the same one that Wally got a rejection letter about the same scholorship. Well Wally throws a party for him (what a sport) but during the party Lumpy gets a call from his father saying that he won't get it anymore because he got a D in Math. Things happen and in the end Ward arranges it so Lumpy would eventually get the scholorship.

furious.gif

Where's the spoiler tags?

wink.gif

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
quote:Dave: I am tempted to respond to PEDRO BORBON with BEAVER CLEAVER...although he was not too athletic and he lied to his dad about making the team...

Ahhh, but that was the BASKETBALL team, I do believe. Not baseball. Oh, well. At least The Beav scored the winning touchdown in a latter-season episodic adventure. ... Which, BTW, is an episode that features some of the worst acting by the various teammates and friends of Beaver you're likely to see on a TV show.
laugh.gif
(But, it's all good fun anyway.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
quote: I know that the show had some risque stuff...

It did? When?

About the most risque thing I can recall is when June says "And when did she see YOU off your feet?".

This was uttered to Ward after Ward received flowers and a get-well card (in error) from Cornelia Rayburn, Beaver's principal. The card read: "Hope to see you back on your feet again."

laugh.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
quote:It did? When?

"A guy could get in a lot of trouble kissing a married lady, couldn't he, dad?"

(Ward looks wistful and distant): "He sure could. . . ."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks