What's new

Would like to see certain General Hospital storylines on dvd (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Over at tvshowsondvd.com they have a link to take ABC's new poll on how you'd like your soaps on dvd released. This got me to thinking about General Hospital. I would love to revisit the Luke and Laura years. I remember watching it after high school in the early '80s. I think the dvd's should start with their first meeting, but what I really want to see is the whole thrilling "Cassadine wants to control the world with his weather machine" storyline, which then leads to Luke and Laura's wedding. I don't think it would be practical to have complete unedited episodes in chronological order from beginning to end--especially with these hour-long daily soaps. That would be a lot of discs, so I'm willing to compromise and have complete storylines but in edited form, and cutting out scenes not affecting the storyline. Most fans of soaps know that these shows usually have 2-3 storylines going on and once. By eliminating those "fillers", they can probably reduce the running time to 20-25 min per episode. So instead of General Hospital: The Complete Seventeeth Season, it would be General Hospital: "The Cassadine Storyline". I know when they first released Dark Shadows on video, they edited the first eight volumes of the Barnabas storyline like this, and it worked well.

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy it if it had the Dr. Noah Drake (Rick Springfield) storylines....actually I would buy a DVD of him just standing there staring at the camera.

Miss Randi

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I remember when ABC issued Luke & Laura compilation videos some years back. I own both of them, and would love to have them on DVD, and would love a DVD on those wild & crazy Quartermaines- of course I'd replay Tracy doing her "Little Foxes" routine with Edward over and over!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I'd go for the Cassadine wars and I would hope it would inspire Days of Our Lives to do a Dimera conflict set....

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
I'd want whole episodes, even if I have to buy hundreds of DVDs!!! Of course, I know that this will never happen. :frowning:

My ideal fantasy for GH DVDs is for them to start with 1978 and go through the end of 1981. And did I mention that I want whole episodes?!!!

I purchased those L&L tapes they put together a few years ago and they just didn't work. So many scenes were cut up and so much was missing. You can't tell a story (particulary an exceptional story, as was L&L) without every single scene and subtle nuance intact!!!

Did I mention that I want whole episodes?!!!!

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I doubt there will ever be whole seasons or even episodes of soap operas available, but I really wish there would be more daytime soap opera-related DVD material out there. Particularly for my fave, Days of Our Lives. Another vote for a DiMera set! There really is a staggering amount of material that could be used.

There is info on the TVShowsonDVD site about a poll for the ABC soaps regarding how you would like them to release their soaps on DVD. Ah, ABC always has released more material than the other networks regarding their soaps. BTW, did anyone buy that wedding DVD that ABC released a few months back?

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I voted for them to release a every season and month worth in one set. A month would only have 20-25 episodes(shows are m-f) and each episode of their current soaps would only be about 38 minutes with commericals cut. I know because I tape the episodes of General Hopsital and edit out the commericals. That way the month worth of the soap would be about equal in running time with a primetime hour show season. I can dream about GH complete episodes on dvd now.

What they should do if ABC goes this route would be start by releasing the first month and current month until caught up. Say the price of these monthly sets is about the same as a primetime season show price and also have a subscription where you save $5-10 each month by getting the whole year. Maybe have a cool box as each year is completed.

Also release Port Charles which ran for six years.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
The only soap I'd purchase is "The Young and the Restless". I've been watching it for 14 years straight and it's the only one I enjoy.

Every Christmas eve, Global (Canadian network) airs a classic holiday episode of Y&R. I really get a kick out of seeing some of these old episodes, especially the ones from back before I started watching. I'd love for CBS to release retrospective DVDs, basically chronicling every storyline beginning back in '73. I'd pick it up in an instant.

As for GH, I tried watching it a couple of times but it never did anything for me.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
It seems to me that soaps on dvd are an untapped market. With the exception of Dark Shadows, no one has really given soaps a chance. ABC did release 'best of' (or compilation) tapes of L&L (Luke and Laura), but I don't think those count.

No. I already have the wedding tape on vhs. I wonder if they used the same clips?

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Back during my unemployed/slacker days I got caught up in the Cassadine diamond weather machine conquering the world (Port Charles) story line. Robert Scorpio was a bad mofo back in da day. So in closing, yes! I would buy this story arc on DVD.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I'd also like to see a Days of Our Lives season set. Particularly interesting would be a DiMera set, a Marlena serial killer set, and the original Roman on the Island set.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Y'know, when all the talk on the news a few months back was about "The Salem Slasher" (or whatever that arc is called), it occurred to me that it might end up as a DVD release with just that storyline. :)

We'll see, I guess. Did they ever find the killer? I don't watch daytime soaps myself.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Yes, it was Marlena (Deidre Hall)! She killed off 9 of the most popular regulars on the show. Fans were outraged. As a result they came up with a subplot where all the victims were secretly taken away to an Island, and it wasn't actualy them who were being killed, it was all an illusion. The mystery to who did this, or how it was accomplished is still being resolved, and the writer has stated that this storyline won't be resolved until sometime in 2005.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I had heard about the it-was-Marlena/no-it-wasn't/they're-alive-on-an-island thing. I was wondering if it was resolved beyond that. The 2005 thing is the answer I sought; thanks.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I would buy the Salem serial killer storyline on dvd and I don't consider myself a fan of the show. This would be a blind buy. It just sounds so interesting. I didn't catch it when it first aired. I remember there was a lot of hoopla surrounding the storyline because a lot of longtime regulars were being killed off--and violently--and I don't even watch the show, but I was aware of it. In Los Angeles they even had a special screening in a movie theater of the episode where Suzanne Rogers character was killed and some stars showed up to promote it.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Well, with this whole Salem Slasher mystery island thing I am hoping that John De Lancie (Q of Star Trek fame) is about to return as Eugene Bradford, the crazy mad scientist that was plagued by deaths of loved ones,haunted by ghosts that were really holograms made by Stefano so he could get his family crest, married Marlena to fake Roman's death, stole parts from a Newlywed Game camera to build a time machine, travelled to the future where he built an android duplicate of his wife, returned to the then present day Salem followed by goons from the future, saved the day, and then vanished.

With all of that, I would really like to see some classic Days on DVD with Eugene as a main focus and a possible return is not out of the question with rumors of time travel being a key element to this whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks