Would like a critique of newly purchased system.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David Kel, Dec 9, 2003.

1. David Kel

David Kel Auditioning

Hi gang. I just purchased my first HT system and would like to entertain comments on it. I bought the Sony STRDA1000ES for $475 and the Paradigm Cinema 70 satellites with Cinema CC Center and PDR 8 Sub. I got all of the Paradigm speakers for $650.

I really can't wait to get home and set all this stuff up this afternoon, but wanted to see what you guys thought about it anyway. Thanks.

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I don't want to be a critic after a purchase. The only thing that really matters, IMO, is that this system sounds good to you. FWIW, I am a big fan of Paradigm speakers.

Go home and enjoy your new home theater system.

3. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Great system. Enjoy!!!

Stelios

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Not what I or any of the people I care about would have bought, but hey, YOU need to be happy not me.

By the way I'm totally kidding! [​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

I think Paradigm is one of the best of matches for Sony recievers / amps.

So what a ya going to audition on it first???

Ht??

Music??

Titles of both please.....
    I am always curious of the choices auditioners, reviewers, and evaluators pick for their testing.

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Paradigms are awesome speakers. Enjoy. I haven't tried the Sony receivers, but I hope that you love the sound.

7. David Kel

David Kel Auditioning

Wanted to let you all know how it went:

I'm a first-timer so setup ended up taking two days, but now I've got everything hooked up. All I can say is DAMN!! That sounds good. I've tested it with the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan and a few scenes from Star Wars Ep. 1 and it just sounds great.

For music I wasn't really sure what would be a good test for it, but I played Garth Brooks "The Thunder Rolls", some Tupac, and Metallica to get a good range of sounds and I've been very impressed by that sound as well.

One thing I noticed though was that my sub seemed to hit more when playing the music than the movies, so I had to turn the volume knob on the back of it down just a little bit while listening to the music, but other than that everything sounds great. Anyway, John mentioned he wanted to know what I used to test it and results, so there it is. Thanks gang.

8. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

What did you end up using for a receiver and speakers? Depending on your receiver, it's possible that you can setup your Sub channel to be louder while watching movies in Dolby Digital and when you are using Pro Logic II Music, you can set the Sub channel to be a bit quieter. That way, you don't have to keep adjusting it.

9. David Kel

David Kel Auditioning

10. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

ROTFL...yeah, I missed that...I got it confused with another thread. Sorry about that. LOL.