Would it look weird to have different ceiling types in adjacent rooms?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and am having a tough time deciding on ceiling issues. In my primary, non-dedicated theater room, I'm planning on drywalling the ceiling in order to preserve full ceiling height (close to 9'). In the adjacent room, which will be the pool table room, I have numerous obstructions on the ceiling that would make drywalling it quite difficult, and would have many levels due to all the obstructions. I am considering using a drop ceiling only in the pool table room, simply for ease of installation, and to have a somewhat normal looking ceiling.

Do you guys think it would look weird to have two adjacent rooms with 2 different ceiling types? There is an open doorway (probably no door) between the two rooms, and there would probably be a 12"-15" difference in ceiling height. I just wonder if it would be too weird...

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

If there's a header over the open doorway then I don't think it would be too weird. If the different ceilings actually meet somewhere then their junction might look a little funny though. A header in the doorway will break up their junction and make a better transition.

3. tony randall

tony randall Stunt Coordinator

Right on Bill!!!

Jason, I'll bet your wife is just like mine. Even if they are separate rooms so that you can not see the difference with the door closed, you will still notice the difference when you move from room to room. And you are talking 9' in the basement, which should leave you 8' in the pool room -that's good for a drop in a basement.

You need two things in the pool room: Proper lighting and a continuous rail around the pool room for your beer or my JD. With those two things, your friends are not gonna care about it being a drop ceiling, they understand all the mechanical objects are above it. Best yet, the women will want to be in the room with the high ceiling, so they won't be interupting your game.