What's new

Would it harm anything to do this to my receiver? (1 Viewer)

Mike Mace

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, i was just wondering if it would harm my receiver to plug my pc into the "phono" jacks? I can use a mini plug to dual rca adapter coming out of my sound card, and then using another section of rca's connect that to my receiver.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea if it would be ok to do this?

thanks

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator
Yes that will work. I do the same thing myself. About the only problem is that there can be a groundloop between the reciever and the computer, causing an annoying hum.

Greg

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Usually there is a significant difference between the phono jacks and the rest. Unfortunately I can't tell you what this is exactly, but I do know its not always recommended to connect other things there. Look at your receiver's manual, it should give the specs for the inputs.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Using the phono jacks for anything other than a turntable is a big no no. This is for two reasons: first, the sensitivity of the phono jacks is orders of magnitude higher than the sensitivity of the the line level inputs used for the rest of the system. Your PC provides a line level output. Second, the phono inputs provide a rather substantial equalization (RIAA) to any signal applied to them. This includes a substantial bass boost and high frequency rolloff which compensates for the characteristics of the cutting heads used to master LP's.

Just plug it into the tape inputs.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
john's right!

you do NOT want to use the phono jacks for any line-level input. i don't know what'll happen to the receiver, but i'm sure it won't work one way or the other.

you can use any other input on your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks