What's new

Would it be wrong (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
to rent a VHS version of a movie I really like to see, if they didn't have it on DVD.
There is a couple of movies I've been wanting to see, but my local video stores don't have them on DVD. I'm talking good stuff, like Vertigo (haven't seen it, but you guys have sold me on it),2001 , (have seen it, but would like to see it again), Seven Samurai (haven't seen it in a long time), and on and on.
Before you ask, no I can't afford to just go buy these. They have them on VHS to rent but not DVD.
I was at the video store tonight, and couldn't find anything to rent, they just had mainstream. I've seen all the mainstream movies I care to, and wanted something really good. But, I also don't wanted to be frustrated at poor quality. What to do?
P.S. I ended up renting Planet of the Apes, the new one. I wanted to cry. Why Tim why? I'd rather you done Beetlejuice part 2, with Steve Guttenburg playing Beetlejuice, than make this stinker.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Consider this official HTF permission to rent Seven Samurai on VHS. Since this film is 1.33:1 aspect ratio with a mono soundtrack you'll only lose some resolution.

However, if you rent anything that isn't in it's original aspect ratio you will be in big trouble...

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
No, it would not be wrong to rent a VHS version of a movie you really want to see, just make sure the version you rent is presented in the original aspect ratio. Watching a movie in pan and scan is much more grievious than watching it on VHS instead of DVD.

Some movies simply aren't available on DVD yet so instead of depriving yourself, rent it and enjoy it (or hate it).

DanaA

Screenwriter
Brian, of course not. I'm sitting here laughing because I'm often in the same fix as you. When I rent a VHS, I feel kind of embarrassed like when I tried to buy condoms or a Playboy as a kid. Now, this is from someone who got his first DVD player only 4-5 months ago. VHS users need to come out of the shadows and feel pride and stand tall. Afterall, you're just getting it cause you want the good movie, not the format.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Guys, Mr. Kissinger's question is actually a rather blatant hint that he wants to borrow my 2001, Seven Samurai, and Vertigo dvds. That's okay though. Just as long as he doesn't ask for my Criterion editions of The Killer, Hard Boiled, and The 400 Blows. :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
For some movies, you have no choice on OAR.

A good example is Around the World in Eighty Days. The VHS is P&S, the LD is P&S, and the 1986-Fall 2001 TV transfer is P&S.

The ONLY way to see it in OAR is to see the Turner Classic Movies print on their channel. (Of course, until the restored DVD comes out)

For many films the only versions out there are P&S when a DVD isn't out.

A few films impossible to see in OAR before their DVD's came out include Airplane!, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and Big Trouble In Little China.

This is why it's so important to have OAR on DVD. If DVD isn't OAR, it's hurting the movie!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Just make sure that you send a letter to the video rental company that you really would rather have rented the DVD, but it was not available. You could also just subscribe to Netflix.

Nicholas L

Auditioning
you know BK, they have some of those films at Hollywood...maybe if someone hadn't run up a million dollar fine for keeping the Bare Wench Project out for 6 months.....:D :D :D :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Um, isn't Netflix an option?
I'd hate for you to see those films in such an inferior format. But you have a good attitude, and I don't think anyone here is going to report you to the HTF Bureau of Standards and Practices. But we will watch you a bit more closely. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
He doesn't need NetFlix when SteveGon's video store is five minutes away! :) I knew there was a reason he stopped beating me up...
...maybe if someone hadn't run up a million dollar fine for keeping the Bare Wench Project out for 6 months...
Ah, so that's why you don't rent there! :D

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I was going to start a SteveGon appreciation thread, but I fear I'm on shaky ground here at HTF for my many pointless threads already. So instead, I will put my sincere message here.

3 cheers for Steve

Thank you kindly for the movies my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks