Would it be worthwile to get a better HD and mor Ram for my older PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Dec 9, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have an old but good IBM PC which I am happy with. I think it has a celleron 300, has 64MB RAM, and a 4Gig HD. Would it be worthwile to upgrade the HD to something bigger and add some RAM or should I just start from scratch on a new PC(buy or build)? I am looking for more room to store MP3's and a little more performance for games.

I think the model is 300GL or something like that. It's a small tower computer.

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You wont be able to play any of the newer decent games with that. If you have the funds, go all out and get yourself a modern computer. Keep that one as a spare or for the kids to play with.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I was thinking and could I possibly get a good HD now to use with this PC for now till I decide to upgrade the rest, then swap it out? Would it work? Also, there is some cheap IBM RAM on ebay. How can I find out if it will work with my PC? Also, to install it do I just plug it in or do I have to have some type of software or do anything else to use the additional RAM. Sorry for the basic questions but when it comes to computers, I'm not that knowledgeable.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Sounds like you want to upgrade. I would NOT buy RAM from eBay. Go to http://www.crucial.com and buy from them. It's more than likely very cheap there. I'd say you can buy a very cheap drive that will offer the space you may need, you can check http://www.newegg.com for that.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hate to say it Jeff but from the specs of that PC it sounds like it may have problems loading some webpages without a whole bunch of HD spinnin action. I'm sure it won't even run a current game in playable form even with the lowest settings.

I would recommend starting from scratch and getting a decent computer. A 1Ghz or below should be less than $300 to piece together if you keep your current peripherals (CD-ROM, case, floppy, etc...). All you would need is a cpu, motherboard, ram, and a power supply. I'm sure we can piece it together for you if you want, just tell us your budget and what kinds of things you plan on doing with it.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    It works great for what I need it for now, but I have been getting into MP3's now and sometimes my computer says I have an error "not enough memory" and closes the program. I downloaded musicmatch and have been using that for now. I also mostly use it for internet but only have dial-up. I also play games like starcraft. I can't run any of the newer games as my system is not capable. But I'm cool with waiting to get those games till I get a better system.
    Other than that, my wife uses it for school. Writing papers, etc...

Are all HD's compatable with all computers or do I need a specific kind?
    You sure I can't just get away with a new HD and some RAM? I can use the new HD when I decide to upgrade right?

7. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

Memory or disk is a heck of a pickle. More RAM will make your computer (slightly) faster, and definitely more responsive. But the $$ you spend on RAM will be wasted when you eventually do upgrade. The disk, on the other hand, can go to the new computer... although you might be required to reinstall the OS on it.

If I were in your place, I wouldn't sink any more money into the computer. I'd go for the new HD. More RAM wouldn't increase the power of your computer. You wouldn't be able to do anything more than what you're doing now, you'd just not have to deal with memory issues for the stuff you do now.

The advice from others is good, though. It's best to hold out completely (no new RAM or HD), then save up & put the money into a new +1GHz system down the line. A HD now plus a computer (without HD) later will cost more than a packaged computer (with HD) later.

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    OK, I'll start from scratch. I need help building a PC. I won't need the best stuff out there. Just enough to run the current games, music, and some other stuff. I'm thinking I won't need a 2GHz processor for that unless the cost isn't much more. Here's what I'm thinking:

80GB HD (WD800JB?)
    at least 512M RAM (Crucial?)

I'll need help with the rest. Let's set a budget of about $700 total including:

Case
    PWR SPLY
    MB
    MPU
    HDD
    RAM
    DVD Rom
    CDRW (I have a slow TDK which can work if needed)
    Video and Sound Cards
    56K Modem and Ethernet
    and anything else I missed...

9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If you're building it to run games, you're going to want to put some money into the video card, the sound card, speakers, and perhaps some game controllers (USB gamepads, joysticks, flight controllers, etc.).

I assume that you're planning to use an existing monitor or to purchase a 17 - 19" CRT. LCDs aren't as good for games and would blow the budget.

10. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

Just built a new computer for just over 700 bucks and I love it...
    Heres the break down...
    AMD XP2000 $100 (cheaper now)
    Aopen AK77-8xn MB $87
    MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 $145
    Audigy Plat $136
    Enermax Case Modded $78
    40 gig max $54 (Staples $30 of $100 + $20 Rebate)
    Micron 256MEG $77
    Asus 52x CDROM $30
    TOTAL = $707
    I already had a CD-RW/DVD drive. Most of the stuff was bought at Newegg (they rule by the way). Also the case can be alot cheaper if you just get a plain atx case and the processors have also dropped in price and you don't really need a Platinum edition of and SB card unless you want the digital ins/outs or the remote, thats another 30 bucks or so. I recommend going with AMD, more bang for your buck I believe. One last thing is that I have no modem (no need for one) but the MB has built in NIC. Hope this helps out.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Great setup Chris. What PSU comes with that Enermax, how many watts? Is it quiet?

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I won't be using it for mostly games. I'm not a big time gamer and I also have a PS2 to cover what I need to as far as most games are concerned.

The PC will be used mostly for internet, music, and most of the other basic stuff.

13. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

The psu is relatively quiet, I can't really hear it over the terrible fan on the MSI GeForce4 (great card, but loud). It is powered by a 350W PowerUp psu.
    -Svence

14. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I see no problem in upgrading the hard drive. As long as you choose a hard drive that's IDE (as opposed to SCSI) you should be fine. As for compatability of using a fast hard drive I would think it just wouldn't transfer data at the fast rates but instead slow down to whatever the motherboard can handle.

If you're using Windows 98SE, you may have trouble recognizing big hard drives and have to use a separate hard drive manager other than the windows startup disk.

I used to play starcraft on bnet, Of course I play war3 now but I still think SC brood wars is a great game. I used to be rank 27 on ladder and had about 2,000 team games experience.

15. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm running windows 2K. I'm thinking I should just get the Western Digital WD800JB for now since WD was the prefered choice in the other HD thread.
    Would this drive be compatable with my PC now? I figure I can still use it when I decide to upgrade the rest of my system later.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...iption=wd800jb
    Seems like the best drive to get for the money. Would this be a good idea?