Would it be possible to outlaw Email selling?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jul 14, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

This should be illegal. Especially since most people probably just use an email harvester and sell it to make some extra cash.

I posted the start of my problems in an earlier note. I had not been receiving any of my own test emails for a week, and soon found out that none of them where goign through. So, I merged my Prodigy account with Yahoo(who recently bought out Prodigy), to see if it would fix the problem. It did, but now I'm getting all the Spam again, because Yahoo's Spam blocker is the Craps.

Apparently, Yahoo sells all free email addresses, and now customer addresses, to Spammers for a quick little profit, causing customers to have to install a seperate prgoram to block all of it from their mailboxes.

So, why can't someone make a bill causing the un-authorized selling of email addresses against the law? When someone pays (now 22$'s a month) money for a dial up service, we should not only see pop up adds on out services home page, but we should also be Spam Free.

Somehow, I doubt it would be possible, but it would be nice if it where the case...

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

3. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

I agree. It's almost as bad as those damned telemarketers that call you in the middle of dinner. I would love to see some kind of law/s passed that would put an end to the incessant and invasive solicitation that so many of us have to deal with.

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

This is dumb how e-mail providers like that can sell my e-mail, and anyone elses, for poeple to use for advertising, really pisses me off! I hate using the free e-mail providers such as Yahoo and Hotmail, and I love my Local ISP's e-mail, no spam at all!

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Not only spam, but telephone companies. I have an unlisted phone number, and the phone company charges me like $3 a month for the "service". I consider it extortion. They're charging me for the "privilege" of not having my name and number published for everyone to see. It's a load of BS and it pisses me off.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The problem is that you can't outlaw it everywhere, so the spammers will just move their operations to those places (like Christmas Island or Russia, or whereever)

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've had the same email address for nearly 5 years, really it hasn't been too bad until the past year or two, but I get like 30 bits of spam a day, it's REALLY getting tired. But, even if the bill is passed, how is it enforced? that would be tough.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think that they could get the ISP's to stop it. If any were sent to them, they could report it, making it a lot easier, but there would have to be some international cooperation.
    I can't see any foreign officials saying that they like 'spam', so maybe they could be routed out, one by one.

Glenn

9. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I keep getting those ads for fake university diplomas, isn't forgery of university diplomas illegal? If it is, I'll forward the next one I receive to the FBI!

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They aren't fake diplomas. They're just unacredited. So in other words if someone bothers to do a check on the university it'll come out that the degree is BS