What's new

Would it be better to use the VGA input on a RPTV over component? (1 Viewer)

Richard Watt

Agent
I went by a local electronics store recently to check out the RPTV's they had. I am going to be using a HTPC (Home Theater PC) for my DVD playback and "scaler" for NTSC viewing.
They didn't have it in stock, but they were going to be selling the Mitsubishi WS-55859 55", which is almost the same as the 55809, but it has a VGA input and IEEE inputs, etc. I have not seen that many RPTV's with VGA-in. Would it be better to use VGA over the component? Is there going to be a jump in image quality to take the time and money to get a set with VGA? I just wanted your input on the subject. I tried doing a search here, but the search function seems to down. I'll try again soon.
Thanks,
Richard
------------------
27" Mistsubishi
Yamaha RX-V995
Sony DVP-S7700
DCM 10" Stand Speakers
Vampire Wire/Monster Cable Interconnects

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. If your set only takes component input, then you have to hook-up your HTPC using a VGA to component transcoder, at the cost of video quality. Some Philips, Sampo, and Pioneer Elite sets also accept VGA/RGB. Last year's Philips sets accept 480p/960i, 540p/1080i, and 600p/1200i VGA/RGB, with the horizontal resolution being flexible. DVD's at 1440x960i using a Radeon LE and ATI Player 4.1 are just incredible.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Ian Bernard

Auditioning
If one can hook a computer up to the vga input on an RPTV, what's with the warning that usually is written right next to the jack? Usually it's something warning against just that..saying serious damage can occur. Does this damage have something to do with different refresh rates between the cpu and tv? Or is it that they don't want people to burn in a cpu's mostly static imagery on the crts?
Thanks,
Ian

Chauncey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chauncey
I would use either the component or the RGB input. On my Mits 65857, the VGA input is limited to 640x480p. So you would not get 1080i on the VGA. Also, the VGA input doesn't allow you to change the screen formats (standard, stretch, etc.).
I would get a VGA breakout cable and use the RGB input with your HTPC.
Good Luck,
------------------
Chauncey
Home Theater Equipment List
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks