Would I notice a difference going from a Denon 3800 to a HTPC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Ross, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

If I built a HTPC for DVD viewing would there be a noticeable difference in picture quality over my Denon 3800? I have a RPTV that has a RGB input-how big of a picture improvement would there be if i scaled to 1080i to my RGB input over the 3800? I was thinking of building a HTPC with a ATI card, but I currently have a system with a Geforce4400 card. I could try it with my GF4 system to see what it looks like-what resolution to I need to output to get 1080i?

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

In my experience, you won't see much difference particularly with a smaller screen. Most of the software DVD players out there don't hold a candle to my Panasonic RP91 DVD player's video decoding quality (ditto for the Denon 3800!) at 480p, although there is one good one out there that I forget the name of.

A lot also depends on the video card you use. I found that my Geforce-based video cards don't have nearly the eye-popping color saturation as my DVD player, although that is probably a video-card driver or VGA-to-component transcoder issue. Hmmm, kind of an apples and oranges comparison though at higher than 540p resolutions though!

Short answer: Your mileage will vary. Generally, the more money (and time) you spend, the better the quality.

4. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Max. I do use an HTPC with my SE 13HD projector and a 7' screen where there is a night and day difference between the HTPC and set top DVD player. That said, I took my htpc to friends house to see what it would look like driving his Toshiba and there was almost no noticable difference between his set top DVD player and my HTPC.

5. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Ooops, forgot to mention the TV-its a Pioneer SD-533HD5 53 inch RPTV. If I did go with a HTPC, a Radeon card would be my card of choice-I was just curious if i could try it otu with my current system

6. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I used to use a radeon which will give you full screen output vs a cut off picture from a GeForce chipset. Also if you're going to use a software DVD Player go with PowerDVD its the only software that supports DD & DTS output and definately has the best picutre quality allowing to adjust everything and anything, it will up convert up to 1024x768. which is about 1.5 times the 720x480 resolution DVD's are encoded at.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I only have a Toshiba TW40X81 (40") RPTV. Video quality from my standalone DVD player beats the pants out of my Geforce 4 Ti4400 equipped HTPC. But then again I'm using a Audio Authority VGA-to-component transcoder. An ATI card would probably do better, but I'm not too optimistic.

I do love the DD5.1 real-time encoding from my nForce-based HTPC though. Although I don't use my TV, I do have my HTPC hooked up to my HT receiver for gaming and music while surfing the net.

Next step: quiet water-cooling setup, and a real projector. [​IMG]

9. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

havent played with theater tek I'll have to check it out and see what I think though I dont use my PC in conjunction with my HT anymore due to ground loop problems and the fact my dvd player plays everything but divx so I just reencode stuff to VCD.