Would I need a separate amp to power these speakers in this room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

This is an interesting question...

I own a Yamaha RXV-995, and like it a lot. I don't think I will change it for a while. As you know, it delivers 100W x 5 RMS.

I am designing my HT room, which measures roughly 22 x 15 x 8 ft. I own Definitive Technology bipolar speakers (BP8Bs, BP6Bs and a C1), plus a subwoofer for each front speaker (a Prosub 100), and a sub for the LFE (a PF15).

Now, my speakers have a rated sensitivity of 92db/W. So I would have to assume that, along with the 3 subs, I might be able to get enough loudness in the room (even with absorbers and diffusors in place). I *think* I can get at least 110dB from my speakers / amp combo (I might have the calculations wrong here).

My question is: would I benefit a lot from buying an amp? I was thinking about a 5 channel, 100w Adcom (just for the sake of better, not louder, sound). Is using my Yamaha as a preamp recommended?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Who said you need a separate amp here? I think you are just fine with what you have so don't spend a penny on a separate amp and use the money to buy a ton of DVD's for your HT instead.

3. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

javier,
    as is so often the case with these things, i think you should try and listen to an adcom amp with movies and music with which you are familiar, either in a store or, if you can manage it, at home with your own stuff, and then make up your own mind as to whether
    1) there is any noticeable difference at all, and
    2) if there is, and you like the difference, whether you like it enough to pay for it.
    - jd

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Javier
    John is right. The differences between amps are subtle enough that you will only know if there is an improvement if you can try the amp in your home on your equipment.
    Not having any experience with comparing amps in my system, I believed what the old Stereo Review "guru" said, that amps are not driven hard enough to clip, they will all sound the same.
    I believed that for years until I had the chance to try several amps in my system. I found that there are differences. Some very subtle, some, fairly easy to hear.
    I also found out that no single amp exells at everything. Some have great "punch". Some are very natural sounding. Some with better bass.
    For those with the resources, owning several different amps works. When they get tired of the characteristics of one amp, they switch to another till they get tired of that.... but most of us can't afford to do that.
    If you are happy with the sound you are getting with your Yamaha, you might just want to leave that can of worms closed.
    Artie

5. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

amen.

6. Jason_Hil

Jason_Hil Auditioning

I think what you should ask yourself is if it seems like the reciever is not giving you enough volume or soundstage presence. Then you look into other options. If you do consider an amp to add, make sure you not only base it on it's watts, but it's current. That has a lot to do with it's capabilities of powering your speakers and the soundstage. If things sound fine to you now, then don't bother with bi-amping.

7. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Thanks for your answers!
    Actually, I'm very happy with the sound of my Yamaha (and yes, I do agree different amps sound a bit different - I always thought my Luxman amp was brighter than my HK, for example).
    I guess I thought the difference between the internal amp and an external one would be so big everyone would end up recommending the Adcom. Happily, it didn't happen [​IMG] so yes, I might end up buying more DVD's instead.