Would I gain anything upgrading to..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Curtis, Jun 17, 2001.

  1. Rob Curtis

    Rob Curtis Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2001
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    a Stryke 15.6, or the SVS Ultra package?
    The situation I find myself in is that I currently have a pair of Hsu TN1225's and the Hsu 500 w amp (800 watts with both the 1225's hooked up)and 5 nOrh 9.0 speakers.
    The problem is that the woofers on the 9.0's can only handle 60 watts. I am very careful on the volume when I play in either 2 channel, or HT. I do play them plenty loud for me most of the time, but safe enough not to blow the woofs.
    I like the bass from the Hsu's OK, but would like my hair singed and blown back during HT explosions! [​IMG] They would only bee used for HT or DVD-A, as I use nOrh subs for 2 channel.
    So the question is if I have never bottomed the Hsu's, would I gain anything by going to the SVS Ultra package, or the Stryke 15.6?
    Thanks for any help or advise.
     
  2. Stephen Dodds

    Stephen Dodds Second Unit

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 1998
    Messages:
    354
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    If you've never bottomed the Hsus, then there is probably little point upgrading them.
    I would be examining the capabilities of the Norhs very closely though. It sounds like they are severely restricted in dynamics.
    Steve
    ------------------
    Steve's Toys
     
  3. Jack Gilvey

    Jack Gilvey Producer

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 1999
    Messages:
    4,948
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Something you'd gain from either of those choices would be bass extension, given that the Hsus are tuned to 25Hz, as is the Hsu amp's high-pass "rumble" filter. As for volume...
    quote: I like the bass from the Hsu's OK, but would like my hair singed and blown back during HT explosions! [/quote]
    ...it sounds like you'd like it louder than what you're getting now, but there's no telling what SPL you're currently getting, or even if the Hsu's are close to bottoming. I'd imagine that that combo has quite a bit of volume on tap, tuned as high as it is. In any event, I'd consider either a clear upgrade from the Hsus (as excellent as they are). With either, you'd have more clean headroom/dynamics with an appropriate amp (don't really know the numbers, though), and about another half-octave of deep bass.
    To add to Stephen's point,though, if the Norh's are as loud as they can comfortably get now, I'd think any increase in bass level would cause an imbalance (assuming it's correctly calibrated now).
     
  4. Mark Seaton

    Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 1999
    Messages:
    599
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Real Name:
    Mark Seaton
    I would be quite confident in saying that you would get quite a bit more and be able to make use of of the performance of either the Strke or SVS options. The Hsu is a good design, and that's one of the reasons you haven't bottomed it. It makes a reasonable compromise between low frequenc extension and output. This is where the other 2 options will shine. They will offer more of the "hair shaking" bass energy, and give you loads of clean headroom.
    Mark Seaton
     
  5. Tyson

    Tyson Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2000
    Messages:
    184
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Cross them at 80hz with a 4th order crossover & they will play much louder. To upgrade the HSUs, I would look at a DIY sub w/dual Tempest woofers in a 600liter sonotube. That will get you 126db or so from 20hz on up. Or you could go with 2 600liter enclosurs, each w/2 tempests, and you have 138db from 20hz up possible, EASILY reference level on movies (ie, VERY LOUD). The drivers are only about $125 each if you get 4 and the other materials are less than $200. Pay someone a couple of hundred $$ to put them together, a couple of 300 watt stereo amps to push them and you are fixed for life in the bass department.
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"
     
  6. Tom Vodhanel

    Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 1998
    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    0
    >>>So the question is if I have never bottomed the Hsu's, would I gain anything by going to the SVS Ultra package, or the Stryke 15.6?
     
  7. Rob Curtis

    Rob Curtis Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2001
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Tom,
    The room is irregular shaped as it is in my basement, but the main room is 27 x 15 x 8, with openings along one of the long walls that are approxamately 15 x 15, and 10 x 17.
    All dimensions in feet.
    I'm not sure what "reference" levels are (in db's), but I would like to be closer than what I can currently get.
    I would also say that I am very satisfied about 95% of the time, but that means I am not satisfied the other 5%. All in HT explosions.
    Thanks to all for your responses.
     
  8. Tom Vodhanel

    Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 1998
    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    0
    >>>Tom,
    The room is irregular shaped as it is in my basement, but the main room is 27 x 15 x 8, with openings along one of the long walls that are approxamately 15 x 15, and 10 x 17.
    All dimensions in feet.>I'm not sure what "reference" levels are (in db's), but I would like to be closer than what I can currently get.>>I would also say that I am very satisfied about 95% of the time, but that means I am not satisfied the other 5%. All in HT explosions.
     
  9. Rob Curtis

    Rob Curtis Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2001
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Thanks Tom,
    I calibrated my system using the pink noise generator on my Pioneer Elite receiver about a year ago using a borrowed SPL meter.
    Looks like I should just go and buy one.
    I will report back after checking the levels later this week.
     
  10. Rob Curtis

    Rob Curtis Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2001
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    OK,
    Last night I calibrated my system using VE and a RS SPL meter. Reference level is -3.
    Tonight I put in Stereophile Test CD in my DVD player, set my full range speakers to small so I can use the subs and ran the tests. It said that the tests were at -20 from reference, so I set my receiver to -23.
    I have a big bump in the 50hz and 63hz signals.
    Does this mean I should get an Equilizer? If so, which one?
    Thanks.
    As a side note, my TN1225's were louder at 20hz, than at 25hz! Is that room gain? It's not a significant amount, but I thought it might be odd since they are supposed to be tuned to 25hz.
     

Share This Page