Would I be upgrading?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tabor, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

I currently have polk audio rt2000i mains, rt55i rears, and cs350 center channel. Would I be upgrading if I went to an all axiom setup? Like their qs8 surrounds, m80ti mains, m60 rears, and their best center(forget the number)? By the way, I already have the hsu vtf-2 sub. I just want to make sure i'm getting better speakers than what i've got if I go this route.

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

WELL IF YOU DO, CAN i GET THE POLKS FOR CHEAP?

3. Chris Tabor

Not quite the answer I was looking for but if I do decide on this route I definately keep you in mind. Which of the speakers are you interested in? Give me an idea of what you are considering cheap. Anyway back to the topic, any info would be greatly appreciated.

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Chris, I honestly don't think you could get any noticeably better sound than what you already have now unless you spent a LOT more money, like 3 or 4 times the price. However, if you do go another route than the Polks, I would also be interested in the 2000s and 55s.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Chris, I agree with Mark.... For your piece of mind, find out if they have a "no questions asked" money back guarantee. That way you could test them in your home.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

not having heard the Axioms, its kind of hard to say. at the least you'd have speakers that sounded different as to whether that difference was an improvement over what you have is quite a personal issue. if you find you don't like the axioms, are you prepared to send them back eating a certain amount of money?

7. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

first thing on my upgrade list is my center channel.
    cs350 center channel - wouldnt be bad at all.

I think we all are curious as to why you would upgrage but stick with bookshelves. although polk isnt the best bookshelf out there, i know they can hold their own against most of them out there. but hey, if youve got upgraditis, im sure you could sell the polks

8. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

If you decide to try the Axioms, I'd also suggest you make sure you can get a refund if you find they are not an improvement over your Polks. I've tried twice to "upgrade" from my old Fried Betas to Mission 701s and, later, to Norh 4s. (Both were purchased over the internet so I did not audition before purchase) Bottom line: I prefered the sound of the Fried's to either of these speakers and sold both the Mission and Norh's at a considerable loss.

Bob

9. Chris Tabor

I don't have bookshelves listed in my future upgrade.

10. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

You can do a lot better than the 2000i's for about the same, or a little more money. Axioms? I don't think that would really be an upgrade, but a side grade. Different sound, but not necessarily better.

11. Chris Tabor

What do you suggest instead?

12. Chris Tabor

What about the polk lsi series?

13. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

The LSIs would be a major upgrade over what you have now for music, however, I don't think you would really tell all that much of an improvement on movies.