What's new

Would I be disapointed? (JBL) (1 Viewer)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Present setup:

4410's rear

4312's front

2 Optimus subs

2 DCM CX-07 centers

Considering this setup:

S38 front and rear

S Center

1 PB 10 sub

I also listen to records and CD's.

Been a JBL guy for years (since the L100's)

I strayed once and bought a pair of Magneplaners (1.5QR's, still have em') and was severly disapointed.

Shoulda never sold my L7's.:-(

Thanks,

MichaelJ

Agent
I like you have been JBL since the 70's I still have my L-36 speakers that I just refoamed.They still sound great I am looking into the S-38 ,S-center and surounds I would suggest you look into the HSU-VT2 sub or the all new 25-31 PCi that is due to come out soon I just think that the sub is one of the hardest speakers to get right. You can't go wrong with the Studio series that JBL has Good luck Michael

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Another old JBL lover here.

I truely understand what you're asking since I've been there several times.... I still own some L100 JBL that I bought new in 1978 and due to all the hoopla concerning several brands, I've bought several other well known speakers and every time ended up selling the new and keeping those old L100's. Just couldn't beat them.

The older JBL's just have such a strong sound that is just hard to improve on.....

The Studio series that JBL markets now does still have some of the classic old JBL sound and are real winners in my view. I still have the L100 as mains, S Center, and some N series as rears. When we set up my brothers HT, he went with the S38 as mains and S Center, then N series as rears.

Still, I have to tell you that you are probably not gonna equal or better that strong sound you hear from your current system although you may be able to improve on the imaging but that will take some getting used to.

BTW: I use the SVS 20-39PC with my system and love it.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
"I still have the L100 as mains, S Center, and some N series as rears. When we set up my brothers HT, he went with the S38 as mains and S Center, then N series as rears. "

How do the N's match up with the S's in the rear. I heard they had a different tweeter. However, the N-24's are the smallest model in the JBL line. I like the S series, but can't find anything small enough for the rear.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Lowell:

Matches well..... and plays loud when asked to. BTW: I run mine on small settings.....

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that loves that sound. So called "audio Experts" get a funny look on thier face when I bring up what I'm using, "sir, what you don't understand is JBL's are meant to be played loud," to which I say "Bingo, Dude."

The Magneplanars I bought were great for "Smooth(?) Jazz" but that's about it. They can't produce any volume. I guess women are right on this one, "size does matter"

I wish I didn't have to change a thing, but my wife just dosen't understand the important things in life, when buying a new home. "What! You bought 4 Aural Exiters!" and I said "Well, Yes. 1 for the guitar and 3 for the TV." After 1 movie she hasen't said a word. She did say I would regret sellin the L-7's. She was right on that one anyway.

Any Ideas on what the dollar value of 4410's and 4312's would be? Maybe I think I should save em' for the garage. :)

Anybody deal with Shop4.com? Thier prices are the lowest I've seen so far.

Thanks, remember the old Maxell poster? Need one for the livin room. :)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yeah, I have one of those old posters.... that is the L100's blowing him over!!!!

I have seen prices for those older JBL range from 200-500 depending on condition. I believe the 4312s have the alnico magnets which are the reason the old JBLs may be worth more if they have the original drivers.

You are gonna have to spend a lot of money to get something as good.........

Jason_H

Second Unit
Ha! How funny...I have a huge dry-mounted poster of the "Maxell" poster as it now called over the sofa in my HT. Which happens to have JBL Studio series speakers all around. Now that I find out the speakers in the picture are JBLs, it seems even more appropriate! :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Anybody deal with Shop4.com?
Read 60+ comments @ Link Removed. One consumer (5-8-00) wrote "An order from these folks is hit or miss", . . . indicating that some consumers had negative experiences with them. I'd carefully check them out before ordering from them.
FYI: I recently bought my JBL S-Series speakers (four S26 & one S-Center - still evaluating vs. my NSP1's ;)) thru Consumer Direct Warehouse, and their service, price (including 3-day FedEX shipping) was excellent! They even threw in a free, (very nice quality) CDW T-shirt!
Phil

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Phil,

I just noticed that the 4312's on E-Bay are identical to the pair I had before they were stolen. (cone tweeter, white woofer, mirror image) Wood veneer.

What I have currently are 4312C Control Monitors. (titainium tweeters, white woofer, not mirror image.) Black vynial.

Are these "bootlegged models?" I just never see 4312C's listed anywhere, A's and B's but never any C's. They are about 12yrs. old. They sound fine, but I've always felt there was something missing...the older one's "seemed" better, but I couldn't say why. I've chalked it up to "my imagination".

I hope you don't have bad news for me....:)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that your 4312's were stolen! That certainly would make me upset, to say the least!!!! :angry:
I hope you don't have bad news for me
My experiece with eBay is in the Star Trek Collectables area, and not Audio, . . . so I'm not familiar with that activity.
Hope this helps,
Phil

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Phil,

I'm sorry I didn't make my question very clear. The speakers that are in question are the 4312"C" that I own now. I was told along time ago from the dude on the phone that a 4312"C" was the latest development in that model. He said JBL felt that "mirror imageing" was not that important. I think I bought them from J&R Music world.

Anyway I've never seen a review on the 4312C or a listing on JBL's website.

Thanks, I guess I should e-mail JBL.. :)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The S38 Mark II's are shipping now, if you didn't already know. Slight cosmetic change and the woofers are now a dark charcoal color (thank goodness!).

I think a PB12 sub would be a better match for that system, other than that, it's a great combo. DVD-Audio or SACD would shine!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks