What's new

Would i be able to do this, or would i just be wasting my time? (long but pls help!) (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, for school i have a program called CAREER AND PERSONAL PLANNING, or CAPP. Well, for CAPP you have to have 30 hours of work experience that is related to a career goal. My career goal is something to do with technology, or consumer electronics (I did a career project on being a Conumer Electronics Technician).
Well, its halfway through the year, and I have ZERO hours that i can use towards the 30 hours. The teacher wants us to get it before end of 2nd term. There is a program at a local computer/Graphic design institute that is aimed directly at ppl needing 30 hours, but its held after the end of 2nd term. I could ask my teacher for an extension and get in for sure, but i would not be 100% safe if i did that. And I can never find the contact at school to get information on how to find a volounteer job thats directed to my career goal. so heres my idea...
My dad and I ususally go to Futureshop to look at TVs, well theres this one salesperson there who has become quite an acquaintence to my dad and I (one time he called my dad from home because there was a one-night sale going on... but maybe he just wanted commission). I was wondering if it would be possible if i told him my situation with the 30 hours and all, and asked him if there was some way he could talk to his boss and get me ANY kind of job there, minimum wage (hopefully), volouteer, customer service, handing out flyers etc. The salesperson knows that i have a great deal of knowledge in Home Theater and TV (he's heard me talking to my dad :p) ), and i do have some retail experience (Sold Blank CD Media at a Mall Kiosk for awhile).
If i did it the normal way, and sent in an application form and resume, i dont think it would work as im only 16, and I dont think they'd hire a 16 year old normally to sell consumer electronics etc. so thats out.
Do you think ill be able to ask him to help me get a small position earning minimum wage or nothing at all (volouteer) to help me get my 30 hours for the class? Or would i just be wasting my time?
Thanks alot! :)
Nick

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Not sure what the laws in Canada are, but if you are legally allowed to work at 16, then you should give it a shot.

I worked at an electronics chain in the past here in NY and I remember that there were definetelly young teens like you working in the Music Department.

Sales is a tough call, but I am sure you can get a job in the Media department (CD's, DVD's)

Give it a shot ... you'll be surprised. If you show enthusiasm about the fact that you want to work there, you're halfway there!!!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, we're allowed to work when we're 15...
Yeah, i wouldnt mind going into DVDs/Music, it'd be sweet to help people with their HT purchases and stuff, thats where'd I'd really be able to help ppl with what i know, well, wishful thinking...
Still, if i worked at the CD/DVD place, i can try to promote OAR! :D
Any more replies?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You'll have better luck going for the software (CDs/DVDs) than hardware. Ask to speak to the manager, explain what you want to do, be professional and just do it. I'd save the volunteer bit for last, as there may be issues with having free help, but if it is a work experience project many stores are okay with that.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
There are a number of 17 year olds working at the FutureShop I'm working in, so age may not be a huge issue. I think you'd have a better chance in the CD/DVD or Software dept. though. The sales people in other departments usually have to go through 2 weeks or so of training, and I'd doubt they'd want to bother with that for someone who is really only planning on working there for 30 hours.

If you do get into either of the entertainment departments, your knowledge of HT and games will still come in handy.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
One piece of advice I try as much as I can to live my life by:

Ask. The worst thing they can do is say "No," and you'll be no worse off for asking. But if you don't ask, you'll never give them the opportunity to say "yes."

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Nick, getting (and keeping) a job would be a good thing. Don't sell yourself short by asking for a temporary or non-paying position. Try to get a permanent part-time job. Sure, you can explain that it will help you in your school because it ties into one of your vocational classes. But don't just get your 30 hours and hang it up.

My first real part-time job was at a computer software store where I hung out frequently. I was well enough known in the store that when a job came up, I was considered for it (and got it).

Knowing someone in the store is a good thing. If he gets any kind of referral bonus, it might be worth his while to submit your application. Otherwise, he might be able to serve as a reference.

Good luck!

- Steve

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Nick, and if they ask for references, you can tell them to sign up to the HTF and we can write you about 20,000 of them (give or take a few thousand)... How's that for a reference? Good luck to ya, my first job was as a dishwasher in a local Chinese (americanized) restaurant. My main job was killing flies but when I wasn't doing that, I was pretending to wash dishes. Then I became a stockboy at the quickee mart store next door to raise in rank to become head stock dude and get all the free Coke t-shirts and promotions. The Coke guy was way cooler than the Pepsi guy, the Pepsi distributor never gave us free shirts but we got free tank tops and stuff from Coke all the time.

Jay

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Future Shop will only hire people that are under 18 in software. You could also get in at 'cusotmer service', although they do need training. But they wont hire you in the hardware sections. Good luck Nick!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thanks alot, i know they wouldnt hire me for the HT Hardware stuff anyways, but do you think knowing the salesperson there would help my situation???

Should i ask to speak directly to the manager or should i tell the sales guy i know?

If i did ask to see the manager, what would my reason for seeing him be? "I really gotta talk to him?" "I have a course at school where i need to complete 30 hours of work experience, and i would like to ask your manager if he or she would be able to help me out?"

How would i go about asking for a meeting with the manager? Do i call them, set one up, or go to the store, ask for the manager and they'll let me talk to him right away? I should bring along my resume right?

Yeah, im hoping to get a longer more permanent job there rather than just a temporary thing, i'll probably say i gotta do my 30 hours, but would love to work longer than that, then state my reasons.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Nick, the best way to learn is to do what you think is right. :)
- Steve

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Try walking into the store with your resume (include many local references) and ask to see the manager. While he may be hesitant to hire you on the spot, if you volunteer for a non-paid position just to get experience (tell him you'll do almost anything, and stress your school project), he may be open to an unofficial " unpaid, Co-op" situation.

Once you are there, bust your cookies at whatever assignment you have. Once you prove your worthy, I'm sure he'll start paying you $$$, plus you'll get the experience for school ! Do not call. People hate telemarketers and you need to show your sparkling personality face-to-face !

When go in, make sure you dress nicely (business casual), but not over-the-top (3 pc suit). Walk by the store and notice how the employees dress, then kick it one notch up. Do NOT wear blue jeans (cotton khakis and a collared shirt at a minumum), and leave any "piercings" off for the day. Even though it is common, some of the "older generation" are still not comfortable about young men with earrings. Not saying it's good or bad, just a reality of life. Besides, you can look like Beaver Cleaver for just one day, can't ya ? It also might help if you bring in that actress/model/girlfriend in your previous sig file.....

Another option - if your school has a computer lab, would check for volunteer positions to get the experience. If your particular school doesn't have an opening, try a local community college's IT lab. That's where I got my start in IT, tutoring all the pretty girls....(they all flunked out and went into HR)

Good Luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks