Would calibrating with a Sound level meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Would calibrating with ONLY a Sound level meter be worth while. Taking each speaker and having the same amount of white noise hitting my ear?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't understand the question. Using only a SPL meter, you would have nothing to measure. You need some sort of tone or signal to measure with the meter- although your receiver should have some tones that will get you in the ballpark- Avia or VE will get you right on, and both are very affordable.
    You probably can't do it "by ear" (which the second sentence in your post alludes to)-- you will need a meter and some form of calibrated tones.
    -Vince

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yes, it would still be a worthwhile exercise. that way, you can use the test-tones from the receiver and still ensure that all the speakers are volume-matched.

the benefit of utilizing a calibration dvd is that you'll hear the tones all the way through the signal path: from dvd to receiver to speaker. calibrating with only the spl means you'll leave the dvd out of the "final" equation.

but it's still a good move to use the spl. with the spl, i was able to fine-tune my speakers by a db here and there.

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Boy, this must be the same Rod Melotte from the VDOT boards :)

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Mikey,

What's a VDOT board?

-Vince

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Vdot is a stock. If this is the same Rod Melotte I am thinking of, he is a friend who has a personal VDot chat board on Raging Bull.

7. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

LOL - it's me, but I'm surprised anybody is calling me a friend after THAT nosedive.

I have

MVL

FRED

PETM

MET

VDOT

Staying away from tech for a while.

SORRY - OFF TOPIC