1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Would anyone want to buy my LaserDiscs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DouglasRobert, Jun 21, 2005.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I still own about 7-800 LD's, but except for a few titles (anyone have The Little Rascals, Volume 3 box set? I'm real interested in that), I am not looking to buy any more. Sorry, I don't need anything from your list. I'm probably going to sell off the bulk of them pretty soon (don't have a list, but if you're searching for a non-anime title, ask! With the price you're willing to pay).

You could try selling them as a group on Ebay. You'll do well to receive $1/disc though, and may end up with as little as 50 cents per. But it's better than nothing.

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I still check Ebay for used LD's from time to time - the last one I picked up was a Japanese LB pressing of Eraserhead which I only paid $20 US for (rarely seen sold for less than $60). I look for stuff that's still MIA on LD, such as Paul McCartney's "Rockshow", or "It Came from Hollywood". I try to avoid paying any more than $30 US for any collectible used LD on Ebay.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I bought a copy of Wild Wild Planet off E-bay last month. It was my first LD of the year.

Keith, IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD is a fun LD. I've had my copy since the late 80's. It's P & S, but it's a 1.85-1 film so it's not too extreame. The analog sound suffices quite well. It got announced for DVD once some years back. It must be a rights nightmare...? So, keep looking for the LD. It's funny as hell in any aspect or aspect ratio. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Some of those titles are known rotters [see LDDb.com for a good reference], so you may not be able to do anything but throw them away. "Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress" is a notable case, as is "Willow" -- in fact and Columbia/TriStar title is suspect, since they were mostly pressed at Sony's Terre Haute facility [DADC USA] which has never heard of Quality Control. But Media Mail is very cheap; I sent Big Emma's 35 lbs of mixed discs I got in a package deal with a player, and only paid $15. Since I opted for trade credit [they had some anime discs I wanted, and I bought some inner sleeves], I feel I came out all right.

5. Simon Brown

Simon Brown Stunt Coordinator

I just sold 22 laserdiscs all in DTS and I made $1200AUD on Ebay. DTS titles seem to be in high demand. The only one I kept was Jurrasic Park which was the first DTS laserdisc I bought. There is definatly a market out there especially for DTS.

6. RickHeart

RickHeart Agent

Reading this thread, I can't helping thinking of the inevitable, similiar thread that will pop up in around 7 years...maybe less...

"Would anyone want to buy my standard-def DVD's?"

7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Perhaps there should be an area on the HTF for this topic. I'd hate to see good LD's trashed or sold on e-Bay to some who may not appreciate what they're getting. After all, I bet there are more people here who would appreciate a find here among HT enthusiasts.

I've got many LD's that I doubt I'll sell, but some I would consider letting go to a better home. But I'd hate to let most of them go.

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I have over 1500 lasers and would like to sell most of them. I just don't have the space anymore to keep them. Quite a few have not been released on DVD yet.

I'm just not sure if E-Bay is the answer. I would really like to sell them in lots of 250 or more. I just don't have the time or resources to sell them individually.

If anyone is interested please let me know.

9. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron

That's understandable considering the DTS track is located on the space reserved for the PCM track. What was the bitrate again? 1.2 or 1.4 mbps?

I may only have 112 titles in my collection, but many of them haven't been properly released on DVD yet such as It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (almost-roadshow edition), Colossus: The Forbin Project (widescreen), the Alamo (roadshow edition), and the original non-special edition release of the Star Wars trilogy (THX CLV editions).

10. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Jay E, I would bring them to one of those places that sells merchandise for you on Ebay. If you have any of the Warners box sets, (Forbidden Hollywood, MGM Composers Collection, the Short Films, the Dawn of Sound series) you may be surprised how much money they bring in.

11. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I just want to make sure, all of the titles that are listed are still available, right? I would be willing to take some if not all of them off your hands if you give me a PM.

Also looking for:

Spinal Tap: Criterion and Jerky Boys.

12. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I cry at the thought of what these used to cost.

Damn, didn't the start at $40 a piece?

I remember paying $99.99 for the Halloween Criterion in 1994.

Laserdisc was a very expensive hobby to be interested in for many years. Though the quality was good.

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm gonna take some of my most useless LD covers and frame 'em with those album frames and hang 'em. A star Trek maybe, Alien Nation possibly? I already have a Twister LD that got left in a player by a repair shop hang on the wall of my HT already. I have alot of really worthwhile LD's but I've my share of discs that live on the last shelf on the left...[​IMG]

14. mary dueitt

mary dueitt Auditioning

mary dueitt
    i
    i offer u .75 each since i have to pay for shipping. let me know .

15. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    First off, Welcome to HTF, Mary! :)

A quick check revealed to me that the above post by Douglas Robert was made in June 2005 (I know that posting dates don't display on a lot of the mobile phones!), so I for one would hope that he's managed a solution for his LD disposal by this stage. In any case, Doug's last post was back in 2007. I hope that all is well with him.

CHEERS! :)