Would anyone recommend?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Littrell, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Mike Littrell

Jan 13, 2004
    I plan to purchase my first receiver and speaker package. I have a budget of $500. Would anyone recommend the Denon DHT-684XP? If not, what would you recommend? Thanks for your help.
  2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan 18, 1999

You'll find specific equipment questions like these are best suited for a specific forum area (in this case the area dealing with receivers). The basic area tends to be better suited for conceptual and more global questions related to how these systems go together and work.

You might not have noticed the banner at the top of this forum in red that says:
    "NOTE: For specific model recommendations, please post in the appropriate hardware forum. Thank you"

As far as finding an answer to your question, the answer might already be out there...

You can use the Vince Maskeeper research method, if you're serious. [​IMG]

Go to the Receivers area on this forum and do a search for for "$500".

You'll come across threads that are similar in nature to your question.

etc, etc, etc

By reading those threads you'll now have a handful of products in the price range to check on.

It might has some basic pros/cons of each product in your approximate price range--- in the course of these initial discussion, jot down the models mentioned, and the notes about comments posters have made next to the brands you're considering.

Then going back to the search and plugging in these products you might consider one at a time (and try variations, for example: Denon DHT-684XP, DHT-684XP, Denon DHT684XP, DHT684XP, 684XP) you will likely find discussions on each product you search on.

These posts you'll find are usually posts from current owners talking about what they like/dislike or posts from people who are shopping like you-- and often you will find them comparing these receiver to other products in the same price range. If you come across a new product mentioned in your range, add it to your list and do a search on it.

Add to your notes the issues raised in the comparisons- any pros/cons you come across for each product.

The you can check those choices here to get better info on features, etc:

By the time you're done, it might take and hour or three, you will have a nice list of every product in your price range, and probably a good list of features and pros/cons for each-- and probably some links on where to buy and where to get the best price.

It won't be as simple as some guy just coming along and telling you what to buy, but you will have compiled your own research, and will very confident in your decision! You should end up with a very clear picture of what's of there, and what's the best for you and what's the best deal.

Leave the search on the FASTEST setting to start with, as this will yield only recent posts (you can change it to slower if you don't find many returns on your first search)-- and you should have plenty of info if you take the time to read everything that comes back and actually take notes.

I've done this using this forum several times- and once I narrow it down to 2-3 choices- then i might start searching the web for reviews to make the final decision-- but I can usually get a much better idea from the people who use the product everyday than i can from a reviewer who's site/mag is supported by ads from the manufacturer.

But start with the Vince technique of research listed above, I'll be you'll be surprised what you'll find with a little homework!