What's new

Would anyone recommend "How I Met Your Mother"? (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
I never saw the first season, but I've watched the last two broadcast episodes "The Slutty Pumpkin" and "Crazy Eyes" (I thought "Crazy Eyes" was lot funnier, more "laugh-out-loud" than "The Slutty Pumpkin"). "The Unit", "Jericho" and "Numb3rs" are the only CBS series I watch regularly, and I've been meaning to check out this sitcom, but never did. I'm trying to decide whether or not to pick it up when it comes out on November 21st. It's $27.99 on Amazon. Besides the fact it will be "Full Frame", any recommendations?

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I saw most of the first season and I have been watching it non-stop since I love it. And I don't usually like these type of shows but I love this one. Doesn't hurt that the 2 girls are hot either :P

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I never miss it and wholeheartedly recommend it. By the way, "The Slutty Pumpkin" was actually a rerun from last season. I've already pre-ordered the DVD for myself.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I know people who love the show. In fact, I think I've only found one person other than myself who doesn't like it. I tried to watch it about 4-5 times and I don't get it. To me, it's a cookie cutter sitcom with an overreactive laugh track (which I don't think does it any favors). It just seems like the type of sitcom you can turn into a game - pause after each setup and see who can guess the punch-line. I confirmed with someone who likes it that the last episode I watched (the season 2 premiere) was considered "good", so I guess it's just not for me.

I really wanted to like it since Alyson Hannigan is in it, but with every episode I watched I got further and further away from "like".

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
We watch it religiously every week (along with "Two and Half Men"). Smart writing, great cast. I'm disappointed that the DVD release is full-frame, since we watch it on CBS HD, but I'll still buy it.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
One of the few good sitcoms to appear in the past few years.

Worth buying if only for NPH as Barney.

I'd highly recommend it. The Liberty Bell episode in particular.

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as one who doesn't "get it." Something is glaringly off with this sitcom and I'm not exactly sure what it is. I can't stand the main character, but I do like the new NPH.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
This show is best for Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan. I think it one of the better modern live action laugh track/studio audience type sitcoms and with a touch of the naughty. From my point of view, there are only two currently good sitcoms of this variety currently being made, this being a different genre from shows like Scrubs and My Name is Earl or cartoons like The Simpsons. How I Met Your Mother is a good partner for the other good currently running sitcom of a similar ilk, Two and a Half Men, but I would rather see the great Out of Practice back on TV and DVD.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll be getting the series this week, but is there any music in the series I should be concern with (that Fox might not be able to clear)? I haven't seen any reviews yet for "How I Met Your Mother". Hopefully one will be up soon.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
It's a pretty funny show, but I probably wouldn't pick it up on DVD myself. It's worth a watch though.

Off the top of my head, I know Cheap Trick's "Voices" is in one episode a few times (it's the focus of the ep in a way), but I'm sure they'll be able to clear it for the DVD).

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I think the show is great. Moreso because the humor really is more subtle than most sitcoms. Sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in - even the laugh track (whether a real studio audience or not, I'm not sure) takes a while to kick in and I don't find it overactive at all. I usually laugh more than the tv audience does making me wonder if they get it sometimes (and only adding to the idea that maybe there is real audience for the studio stuff).

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
It's weird but the opening (all 12 seconds of it) is widescreen but the rest of the episodes are full screen.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'd love to get this show, but after watching it in HD widescreen, I can't imagine voluntarially purchasing a 4x3 version.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Does anyone know anything about why the show is 4x3 on the DVDs? was it Fox or the Creators that wanted it that way - I almost got this the other day for $15 at costco, but with my widescreen tv, I have a hard time getting it.

Somehow I'd feel better if the creators did it, and that maybe they were considering doing future seasons in the 16:9 versions.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I just recently got into the show so I was glad to see the first season's on sale at Circuit City this week for $19.99. That sucks about the aspect ratio but since the 22 episodes will all be new to me and I'm in the midst of a massive crush on Cobie Smulders ;) I'll put up with it.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

You and me both.

Even though I started to watch because I have a crush on Alyson Hannigan, I quickly also fell in love with Cobie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks