What's new

Would ANY M&K's do well for music? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
As in, I want a disgusting amount of power for music. I listen to a lot of electronic and other music that needs some serious force (instead of jazz, classical, etc.) - these are mainly for music (75% or more) and I don't listen to movies as loud as music for the most part.

I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's and, well, to put it lightly, they never fail to put a smile on my face :D - they are downstairs.

I am looking for a system for my bedroom and eventually it will move into a living area (when I get out of college and get my own place)

My concern is the M&K's are really designed to be rolled off at ~80 Hz. (I am looking at getting NO LESS than S150's across the front) and even with the best subwoofer, they will not have that mid-bass slap that full range speakers give. My Chorus's give that mid-bass punch that I just love (as opposed to some sub/sat systems 'missing' it all together)

The other speakers I am looking at are larger Klipsch bookshelf speakers (Klipsch RF-35's and the like) - those are absolutly OK for what I want.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Oh, as for cost, I am in the industry, so I can get them at a discount.

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should stick with Klipsch. The M&Ks have very accurate sound but they won't have that punch in the lower range. They also have a small sweetspot from what I've heard. What I mean is they sound really good if your right in the middle. But if you're not, they don't sound as good.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
With 3 5" woofers, the M&Ks will have plenty of mid-bass slam. They of course require a subwoofer, but when used with a subwoofer should also put a smile on your face every time you listen to them.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
The 150's are very directional by design. They must be aimed directly at the listening position. Do not listen off axis vertically or they won't sound as good. Recording studios have large mixing panels in front of the listener, so they are designed that the sound does not bounce off this type off room arangement.
M&K's must be used with a sub that blends seemlessly typically at 80Hz (M&K subs will probably be best) to provide the most accurate midbass you will ever hear. Whethis system is set up correctly, they are unbleaveable for music, but this is why some believe M&k don't do well with music...they simply are not set up properly.

Brian>AM

Auditioning
I run 5 M&K S-150's (Front L,R,C, and Rears), along with a pair of SS-250 Tripoles at the sides. The low end is covered by three SVS subs.

Audio nirvana! When properly set up - as mentioned above - these things absolutely shine with music - especially DVD Audio and SACD. Incredible!

You can also play them really, really loud, while still sounding great.

Good luck.

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running some older M&Ks, I have the S-125 L/C/R and SS-150 for the side surround with a SVS 16-46Pci and it works great for music.

Brian>AM

Auditioning
I am running a pair of 20/39 CS+'s for stereo and DVD-A/SACD listening, and a PB2+ for LFE duties.

All three are running during Dolby Digital and DTS sources, and all sound fantastic with my 150's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks