Would an SVS be too much?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaseyLS, Dec 1, 2002.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Hey guys it's that time of year again when I have to decide what new toy I want for Christmas. I have been thinnking about an SVS 25-30PCi for my dorm room. My question for you guys is will this be too much? I am planning on leaving the dorms after this year because of some differences with the dorm administration (bastards, so I will be getting an apartment next year and I really couldn't justify getting a now and the SVS then. Any answer would be nice.

Thanks, Casey

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I don't think so. Adding a high quality sub like SVS was probably the best thing I did for my system and my HT/bedroom is >1100 cu ft and a use a CS Ultra/Samson S1000.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Casey,
    In my opinion there isn't any such thing as getting too much. You'll be able to use what you can in the confined dorm room and then when you move and have more space you'll be all set.
    If by "too much" you meant that it will overpower your dorm room then I would say you don't have much to worry about. Yes, an SVS offering COULD be too loud but as long as your system is calibrated then it shouldn't be overbearing compared to the rest of your system. I say if you have the money and don't feel like building your own then go for it. SVS products and their customer service are top notch. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Go for it.
    I thought that the 20-39PC+ might be a bit much for my room size, but it's perfect. It is as good at lower volumes as it is at higher volumes [​IMG]

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Might also consider the 25-31 size since it's a dorm room.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Dual Ultras....seriously. [​IMG]
    No...not really. I understand all too well the college budget.

7. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Thanks for your opinions guys. I can't wait until I get paid on Friday so I can order this bad boy. I already have the best setup on my wing (excluding the RA) but this will be ridiculous. Thank God for cool roommates!!!

8. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I plan on bringing my 192L ported Tempest to university with me.

9. FredH

FredH Auditioning

Wow, an SVS in the dorm room. You will definitely be the most popular guy! Buy all you can afford (go big or stay home!)

10. Pete Austin

Pete Austin Agent

Just my two cents . . .

I just moved out of the dorms here in Miami this past semester and purchased my 20-39 PC-Plus three months later. I can't even imagine what it would've sounded like in my dorm room, but I have visions of having my housing deposit revoked. While in the dorms my room-mate had a cheap ($120) 12" Sony sub and that was overkill. I don't know the size of your dorm room, but mine was EXTREMELY small and the walls were thin. Even small shelf systems in adjacent rooms could keep you awake at night. To put any SV sub in a dorm room is probably overkill, but if you 1) can afford it 2) have room for it and 3) want everyone on your floor showing up with movies to watch, then by all means go for as much as you can afford. Even when you move out your SVS will fill just about any room in your house with amazing bass. Your situation is even better because instead of dealing with Wife Acceptance Factors you'll probably impress the girls with the size of your. . . sub.:wink:

Seriously though, buy the SVS, get some great demo DVD's and invite your RA over to watch. You won't be sorry.

11. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Ok I have decided PCi definately but I can't decide which one. I am looking at the two cheapest in series. Has anyone tried both? Is the more expensive one worth the extra $50?

12. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I had a Paradigm PS1000 in college. Our dorms were solid concrete/brick. My neighbors on the floor below me had their rooms shaking. Then add 2 Cerwin Vega speakers with 15" woofers - man our floor was loud.
    An SVS would have been insane.
    Speaking of dorm administration - we had the head of dorm administration come onto our floor one day. We were told "You are never going to play your stereo this loud again!" Yeah, that happened [​IMG]

13. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

we had a little competition planned but our dorm administrator, I don't know what the stupid "make-yourself-feel-good title" is, found out and woarned our RA. She sucks!!

14. Frank Carter

Hey Casey,

I use a CS Ultra w/the SVS bass interface box which has an adjustable subsonic filter setting at 15Hz, 20Hz, and 25Hz. I played around with it to see how big of a difference there is between the cut off points and to tell you the truth there's not as much of a difference as I thought. I did make sure to demo with material I knew extended way down.

If I was doing a blind test and I had to guess which setting was which, I might be able to tell the difference between the 15Hz and 25Hz setting because you feel it a little more and the room has a little more "bass prescence"(hard to explain, it's just more enveloping). I doubt I could do it between 20Hz and 25Hz, I barely even noticed a difference between the two. Also keep in mind than many people have requested to have the 25-31PCi's tuned to 22Hz. I don't believe SVS charges anything to do this and all it takes is an email to them.

BTW, I remember somebody posting the in room freq. response graph of their (22)-31Pci and it actually extended to about 20Hz before it began to drop off. So you might have similar results in a small dorm room.

15. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Will tuning it add additional shipping time.

16. Frank Carter

Not sure, best to ask SVS about that. I don't imagine it would since the ports just screw in. Even if it does, SVS is extremely quick w/shipping. I live in VA and received mine in 3 days.

17. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

And they ship from Colorado right? So I could realistically get it in two days.

18. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

I've been debating a similar situation (SVS in an apartment). Pete Austin and kevitra's comments lead me to ask for clarification--the reason why the SVS would be a problem in those situations is because you crank the volume, right?

I rarely go over -20 db from reference in my apartment. Given that, would the SVS be noticeably more obtrusive to my neighbors than a lesser sub? I'm looking for clean and deep much more than loud.

19. Frank Carter

It doesn't ship from CO, it ships from Ohio.

20. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Kevin -
    In college we 'cranked it' all the time, which is the reason for the insane bass.
    Now that I am 'old' (26), I often listen at night with the volume very low. The SVS does an incredible job at low volumes. No matter what the level, I am happy with it.
    I had it in an apartment for 6 months before we built our house. No one ever complained. During our house warming party my friends said "you have an awesome system, how loud can it go?" Not knowing (since I never turn it up), I pulled out the RS SPL meter. We hit 105db before my Rotel's protection circuit kicked in (I think it was my speakers that clipped - not the SVS). FYI: I ran my SVS and mains off of a 5 channel Rotel amp. The SVS now has a dedicated amp.
    My neighbors wife (who moved in the night of our party) said something about it the next day. She asked if I always have it that loud (I would be deaf).
    Feels like the dorm admin followed me... [​IMG] All her husband said was "cool".