Would an extra amp help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Marklund, May 14, 2002.

1. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Ok,

Upgrade to HT is in progress. Got new Denon 3802 few weeks ago. PSB image 6T, center and rears are in transit to me.

Question: My dad has a spare McIntosh amp that he will give me. It's 4ish years old and 125w/chx2. The Denon is 105w/chx7. To me, 20 watts doesn't seem like it would make a big difference. However, how much difference would I notice by running a separate amp for the mains (also taking into account the sound of the McIntosh)?

Thanks in advance,

MM

2. Michael Marklund

Hmmm,

Just saw there's another thread very similar to mine. Let me add this to my thread: I really don't think there'll be a significant change in power. And I'm fine with the Denon's power capability now. What I wonder about is how it will sound will the Mac running the mains and Denon running all the other speakers. There's been a lot of threads saying that a separate amp makes huge differences, but those seem to center around 5/7ch amps powering all the speakers.

This extra amp is just an option that is open to me, curious to get thoughts on yeah or neah.

Thanks,

MM

3. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I would try it, the least it will do is take some of the load off the receiver. Plus the Mac will probably sound better for 2ch. music.

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

YES.
    It should make a significant difference. Mac makes great amplifiers, much better than those supplied with the 3802. You will also eliminate stress on the internal amplifiers by externally amplifying the mains.
    With all channels driven, like during a DD/DTS movie soundtrack, you won't be able to achieve the 105 watt rating that the Denon provides. However, if you eliminate the stress on the receiver...you will get a better sound all the way around.
    Not to mention, a free Mac amplifier is a BARGAIN[​IMG]
    Jeremy

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Michael,
    The sad fact is that power ratings of to modern 5.1 channel receivers can be optimistic. You might want to check this thread elsewhere on this forum.
    Bottom line, Jeremy is right: The Mac can make a significant difference.
    Regards,
    Wayne Pflughaupt

6. Michael Marklund

Cool,

Sounds like the thing to do is just hook the thing up and make a decision. Although it may be a long shot, does anybody have a guess as to how a Mac amp and a Denon recv will sound together? (i.e.-bright/warm, warm/warm,etc...)

Do like the idea of having the Denon to work less harder powering the system.

Cheers,

MM

Hmph,came back to this post an hour(ish) later and realized that I should have read what I typed. Somewhat irrelevant(sp?) what others think about how it may sound. I think from the couple of responses that it just makes sense to have the extra main amp and as long as it mates well with the Denon, and (I) like the way it sounds, then all is well.

Thanks!!

MM

p.s.-if any mods see this thread, close it. It's a duplicate of another thread and my question is answered.