Would an equalizer be a useful addition to my HT?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NickSo, Jun 8, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I was just at a garage sale, and the guy had an older Marantz stereo equalizer going for $10. I tried to convince my dad to get it, but he said it would be useless, but i've been heraing good things about getting one.

My HT has a pretty even use between Music (CDs) and Movies.

Thanks

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'd have offered $5 knowing full well that if it worked I might consider using it or even reselling it on EBAY for probably 10x what I paid if not more.
    To use the equalizer, you'd need to figure out how to analyze the FR of your system in the room. Maybe it'd help but it's one of those things that even if it didn't pan out you wouldn't lose any money. Recall the Model # by any chance?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Nick,

These older stereo equalizers are basically sophisticated tone controls that allow for some compensation for recording inadequacies, like taming boomy bass, bringing out “dark” vocals, etc. They could also perform coarse corrections for speaker shortcomings, to a limited extent. For instance, they could help tame “hot” sibilants or extend bass response for bookshelf speakers (being careful not to overdrive the small woofer). The rule of thumb was that they could perhaps enhance the sound of good speakers, but they couldn’t transform bad speakers into sonic marvels. Too often, however, people didn’t really know how to use them correctly, so they ended up setting the sliders for the ubiquitous “smiley face” curve, thinking the resulting “boom-sizzle” sound was an improvement in sound.

For their intended purposes, and used correctly, these stereo equalizers worked great for two-channel stereo, but they are somewhat incompatible with home theater.

For one, they used to connect to a stereo’s tape monitor loop. However most receivers don’t have tape monitor loops any more, for various reasons.

Second, even if you have a tape monitor loop, you can only use it for sources that are using analog connections. Digital signals use a separate signal path between the source and amplifiers. Thus if your CD player is using a digital connection, you won’t be able to use the equalizer.

Basically, there are only two ways you will be able to use an equalizer of this kind. It will have to be connected in-line between the source component and the receiver, using analog connections. Or, it will have to be connected between the pre-amp and amplifier, using the receiver’s left and right pre-outs and main-in jacks. If you have only pre-out jacks, you’re out of luck.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    ChuGai: I do not recall the model #, but the condition was immaculate (no blemishes to my recollection, and none of that 'sticky' stuff that i usually see accumulate on top of old electronics). It was also the champagne color too. Do you think that this would be worth someting on ebay?

Wayne: My speakers are fairly decent so i dont expect to use it much more than to refine the sound of the CD rather than trying to improve the sound of the speakers. I was planning to use in-line between my Denon CD player (using analog) and my luxman stereo amp (both of which is also Champagne colored, so it'd match very well :p) ), so this is used for CD audio rather than multichannel movies/music.

Thanks for the replies!

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The old stuff from reputable companies always is worth some money, and a damned sight more than $10. Pop over to ebay and do some searches and see what turns up.