What's new

Would a surge protector/line conditioner fix this problem? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have my home theater setup in the basement. Unfortunately, the only outlets reside on the opposite side of the room. Currently, I'm running a standard orange outdoor extension cord across the room. I've plugged a basic computer surge protector into the extension cord and the equipment into the surge protector. Recently, I've been experiencing sporadic buzzing from my speakers. I thought it was my amp, but now I'm noticing that whenever the buzzing occurs, my video distorts as well. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with my amp or my projector so I'm thinkng this is some kind of power surge or dip. I'm not to familiar with diagnosing electrical problems in a home theater system. I only need about 5 or 6 outlets for my system and I'm not worried about any fancy noise floor lowering or anything like that. What would you recommend I look at? Does this sound like an electric problem? If I plug a Panamax or similar unit into the extension cord instead of directly into the wall outlet, does this compromise performance in any way?

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
You should just install another outlet where you need it, or if you could get an electrician to install one, it won't be that more expensive than a decent line conditioner and you won't pick up as much line noise using the long extension cord, plus it will look much neater.
Just my opinion :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
When did this happen? It almost sounds like perhaps the speakers in some way are creating a magnetic field that's affecting the tv. for the hell of it, try moving the speakers away and see if your tv picture improves.

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately Ken, I am renting the place. I wish installing another outlet was an option. The weird thing is that nothing has changed in my sytem. I've always used the extension cords and never noticed any outside noise. Now it happens all the time. I'm using a ceiling mounted DLP projector which isn't sensitive to magetic fields like a tube TV. The weird thing is that the picture distortion happens at the same time as the buzz in the speakers. Does this sound like an electric problem? How would I integrate a line conditioner into this setup (and would it help)? This is really frustrating...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you disconnect the speakers, does the problem with the video still occur?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks