would a scaling 1080i player work for me?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony*B, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i DO NOT have a TV w/ A DVI input (Samsung TXM3096)...are there any players that can scale using component inputs? is there a DVI-to-component adapter that works well out there? are scaling players at 1080i really that much nicer looking than standard 480p? thx in advance!

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Only the discontinued Liteon 2001 model did that. But for regular CRT HDTVs, a good progressive 480p DVD player is fine, the source is only 480p format anyway on DVDs. I'd recommend a top-rated Faroudja-based player like the Denon DVD-1600 or Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 models - check on EBAY. These display much better than any scaling player, those upconverting players just introduce scaling artifacts - you can't add more resolution!

3. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

I partially agree with Don, that 480P is fine, but you can get better than fine using a player that does 1080i scaling, even over component if you don't have DVI. It does make a difference, at least using the LiteOn. And if you really want it, the LiteOn LVD-2001 is still available on Ebay and at Samstores.com (as of yesterday), and other players are also available that do 1080i scaling over component, including the Momitsu 880, the DreamX-108, the NeuNeo (or is that NeoNeu?). Check out Ebay for the last two, check out Hivizone for the Momitsu (or I believe it's taipeipc.com that also carries them).

4. Jason*H

Jason*H Agent

The NeuNeo you refer to is Actually the Mecotek MK-X4000.
    It is sold out of a place in China called NeuNeo but you pay a hefty shipping charge through them. You can get one at http://bigbuyz.com for less shipping and it does use the same Sigma chip as the liteon lvd 2001