What's new

Would a recast Indiana Jones movie work for you? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For me, Indy in Raiders was a fundamentally serious guy
I agree, but it seems like there was an underlying passion for life -- Indy loved the adventure. There was also a wry take on the dangerous situations at times. My limited knowledge of Crowe's work suggests he doesn't convey that same joy of life; his characters have been more embittered. If Crowe can also do lighter stuff, then I think he could be a good Indy.
Someone mentioned Zorro -- Antonio Banderas could do a decent Indy, I think.
But in the end, Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. Recasting Indy would be like doing another BTTF without Michael J. Fox. Just not right.

John Beavers

Second Unit
I doubt I would find the same "magic" in seeing an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford in the lead role. Just as I found all the non-Sean Connery James Bonds to be just average films at best. When I think Indy, I think Harrison Ford. Though Harrison Ford himself replaced an actor who defined a role for me in the character of Jack Ryan in "The Hunt for Red October". I have not seen a Jack Ryan movie since then, where I didn't think the original casted actor would have played it better. True or not, when you have an actor playing a hero that is well known and liked, it's like when your team trades the star quarterback that took you to the superbowl...it's never really the same afterwards.
------------------
beav.JPG

[Edited last by John Beavers on October 26, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

Ash Williams

Second Unit
Didn't Indi drink from the Holy Grail in Crusade,giving him eternal life? I don't exactly know the rules of being immortal,but I don't think you would age after you drank from it. So, with Harrison looking 12 years older I don't think it would work. Unless they do some sort of prequel with a different cast, I say let it be.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
quote: Didn't Indi drink from the Holy Grail in Crusade,giving him eternal life?[/quote]
Immortality was only possible if the person didn't go past the seal near the entrance. So, we just have to put up with an "old" Indy!
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
[Edited last by Tom_G on October 27, 2001 at 10:04 AM]

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
We need Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. I don't think a replacement for him will mean big box office numbers for the movie. HE CAN STILL DO IT! I'm telling ya...give the man some credit.
I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and Last Crusade. I'm dying for another sequel.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
You know, this is so true. I always thought that Alec Baldwin played Jack Ryan perfectly in the first film. Basically a CIA bookworm, not a field agent, and extremely uncomfortable having to end up on field situations. Harrison Ford just seemed too rugged to credibly portray that fish-out-of-water image. "The Hunt for Red October" is still my favorite Jack Ryan movie.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks