Would a Marantz 8500 Have any Trouble Powering Paradigm Studio 100s?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Slade, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Slade

Slade Agent

I'm tentatively planning to get a Marantz 8500 (125 watts) and Paradigm Studio 100s for my front speakers. Will the Marantz have any trouble powering them?

Thanks.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No.

3. Slade

Slade Agent

The reason I ask, is I've seen some posts that state the Studio 100s need at least 200 watts to power them properly. The store told me it wouldn't have any trouble, but 125~200 watts is a big difference.

Thanks.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Not really, it's less than 3db.

But headroom is a good thing.

If you're concerned about it now, it'll nag you until you upgrade. So find a pre/pro/amp or low-power AVR with preouts and a seperate 2, 3, or 5 channel amp. (thinking cost effective there, no need for hipower AVR if it'll be a preamp.)

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    In your 25x25 room I think the 8500 will be enough, but they would probably do better with more power. You can add an amp down the road if the 8500 proves not to be enough. 60s and a good sub might be another thought.

6. Slade

Slade Agent

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go with the Marantz for now and in several months, add a 2-channel amp.

Tell me if my thinking is correct here - Can I use the Marantz 8500 to power the center, rears and two Seismic-12 subs? Then have a two-channel stereo amp just for the Studio 100s?

Is an Anthem a good stereo amp? The dealer told me about one that has 225 wats/channel and is around $1100.

Thanks again.

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

That's strictly personal preference. I'm not a fan of Anthem's SS amplifiers, but I know some people who love them.

But you should at least look at several other amps and you should also consider the used market. Pre-owned power amps can be found at significant discounts over new amps with similar performance. And unlike receivers and pre-pros, good quality power amps don't really become obsolete. If you know what your looking for and take your time, you can get a much better used amp than what you could find new for the same price. AudioGon is a great place to start your search.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree on looking used. As long as the amp was not abused, they really will last a long time. I have an 8300 and I picked up some Marantz MA500 monoblocks to drive my mains because they are 4 Ohm and it works great.