Would a Denon 5800 sound better than my B&K AVR 202? Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_C, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

I need some advice from any of you who have heard both. I currently have a B&K202, but a member here has a 5800 for sale I am seriously thinking about buying. Has anyone heard these head to head in a comparision? My speakers are as follows:

Front and Rears: Energy C-6's

Center: Energy AC-300

Subs: none yet, hopefully dual SVS's come May/June

I know the 5800 will do more since it has component switching and 7 channels so I can do 7.1. I have not personally ever head a Denon, but I have heard all the members rave about it. And B&K wants $1000 to upgrade the 202 to the 305's specs, so I think I would benenfit better by buying the 5800. And advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

On purely 2 channel sound, the B&K will probably win by a slight margin. Sounds warmer, fuller, and clearly demonstrates that the B&K internal amp draws more current than the Denon. However, if you don't have demanding speakers, you may like the "sparkle" that the Denon offers. Empirically speaking, the audiophile world seems to admire the "warm" sounding receiver and probably classify the B&K as the more "audiophile" piece between the both. Both receivers are smooth and I personally prefer the Denon because I hear just slightly more "air", but at the cost of the full body sound of the B&K.

There's no contest in regards to features. With the upcoming upgrade to the 5800, you'll have all of the formats available. If it is purely 2 channel sound that you are looking for with HT being necessary, but distant second priority, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the B&K

Elbert

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"If it is purely 2 channel sound that you are looking for with HT being necessary, but distant second priority, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the B&K"
    ...and for this reason, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Denon. I don't believe the 5800 gets the 2 channel credit it deserves[​IMG] It will NOT let a discerning music listener down, IMHO....The pure direct mode is an extremely clear and clean path for audio, with no sonic coloration. The Alpha 24 processing is also very nice. However, it only gets better with the upgrade....16 new Burr Brown DACs in differential mode, 8 DACs per channel in 2 channel music listening. The 5800 was built as a music receiver as well as a champion HT unit.
    Give them both a listen.
    Jeremy

4. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I second Jeremy's opinion. I think the 5800 is an amazing receiver. The sound is amazingly open and refined. The highs are naturally musical and there's plenty of power to keep the bass taut yet rich. In short the sound is so very full and rich yet there's air where there needs to be. You couldn't possibly go wrong with the 5800, it's one of the most technologically advanced receivers in the world. I can't throw enough superlatives at it. Even on my 4802, the pure direct mode is plenty to drive my front speakers for a thoroughly fulfilling musical experience, yet the 5800 "DOES" in fact sound that much better.

5. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

RajeeK

This is direct from the Denon website: