Would a Denon 5800 owner be stupid to trade for a Denon 4802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Patrick,
    Being that the 4802 isn't available yet, nor has it been reviewed/tested....IMO, it's a bit too early to make that decision, or even base an opinion on the scenario.
    On paper, the 4802 looks good. Let's see how she performs in a real world situation. Maybe by the time the 4802 is available, Denon will have given us 5800 owners news on the upgrade path of the flagship.
    With the knowledge of the upgrade path (if it has one or doesn't) I would think the 5800 owner could make that decision a bit easier.
    Jeremy

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I have to agree with Jeremy. Its a little too soon for 5800 owners to jump to the 4802 until we find out what's happening with the upgrade.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

EDIT: damn, Im trying to type this thorough reply to this members problem and you guys beat me by a minute! UGH! Just trying to help. [​IMG]
    I know for one, a feature that I love and am sure that ohters too; is that the 5800 has not 1 but 2 (!) 7.1 external inputs.
    Im too young to afford either one of these but Im allways looking into them. Another feature is that the 4800 has the ability to decode 24/96 version of DTS. I dont think there is any software out that utilizes this but, nonetheless, it should sound incredible.
    Something else would be that the 4800 has a more flexible bass-managment that allows something in the terms of; 40, 60, 80, 100, 120hz crossovers. The 5800 is fixed at 80hz.
    ProLogicII is another new feature in the 4800, but owners of teh 5800 will be able to purchase some sort of upgrade(im not sure but I heard it was via serial port thingamajig.) for PL2.
    I cant think of anything else really. Maybe an allready updated software version of the Atkis remote.
    Anybody know what Im forgetting?
    [Edited last by Scott Simonian on August 11, 2001 at 12:06 AM]

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Just to add a bit to what Scott said, many of the advantages/difference between the 4802 and the 5800 have been rumoured to be in the upgrade for the 5800. But, we will have to wait and see if it comes to fruition.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

5. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

The Fate of my 5800 will rest almost completely on whether it can be updated to accomodate DTS24/96. I WANT THE BEST POSSIBLE FILM SOUND. DPLII is a given and I don't think I'll use it that much. Bass management a plus, but not enough to get me to purchase a new unit.
    Elbert

6. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

toroidal power suplly!
    ------------------
    Matt says "if you have received good service from a salesman,if he has educated you as to what you should buy, buy from him! not from the internet!"

7. Greg Y

Greg Y Auditioning

I work at a Consumer Electronics shop. We just had a Denon training. Although I missed most of it (I work in car audio so I don't get time to go to the home trainings), the rep said that there will be an upgrade for the 5800 that will bring it closer to the yet to be released 5802. It will be a matter of sending to unit to Denon. Also, the 4802 doesn't have the dual floating point shark processors that the 5800 has. That's about all I got out of it for the few minutes I was there. I own the AVR-3801 and love it. My pockets aren't quite deep enough for the 5800, but they will be some day!
    Greg

8. Jeremy Hegna

Greg,
    Actually, the 4802 DOES have the same processors as the 5800. Dual Sharc 32s.
    You can read the promo write-up at denon.com
    Each of the "desires" mentioned, should be incorporated into the upgrade package for the 5800.
    The word is.
    DPLII
    THX post processing
    DTS 24/96
    Bass Management
    Volume (Big numbers on display, or OSD display)
    Again, the word is, the rumor is...whatever, no one really knows except the chief engineers in Japan that designed the 5800 and implementing the upgrade. Until they tell us officially, all else is speculation at this point.
    Jeremy

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Wow??? I guess that if I paid those big, authorized retailer, MSRP bucks for the 5800, and then Denon released the supposedly better and now cheaper 4802 ... I'd really be pissed and never buy nor trust Denon again? How could you? Then again. If you bought a 4802 knowing how much the 5800 buyers got screwed, I'd make sure that I bought my 4802 at MUCH under the typical B&M MSRP-price. If they hose their best and most loyal customers who bought their most expensive units.... how could you ever trust them ever again??? Not me... my Denons from now on are bought at mail order prices or not at all!!!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

11. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Lewis - Why in the world would you pass up a receiver because it had the ability to engage THX post processing???????????????????????????
    I am also sure Jeremy meant to say "flexible bass management".
    [Edited last by Chris Maynard on August 11, 2001 at 02:22 AM]

12. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

People: The AVR 4802 doesn't even play in the same league as the AVR 5800. Get a little beside that more feature, better in all thinking. Look at the build quality, picture of both units open are available in the www. The AVR 5800 smokes the AVR 4802 easy.
    Who sells it's AVR 5800 for a AVR 4802 is doing a real downgrade. That is for sure.
    ------------------

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Patrick G,
    IIRC, you went through this same dilemma just a very short time after buying a 4800, when the 5800 was released. You have some SERIOUS upgrade fever. [​IMG]
    There is no way I would take a huge loss on my equipment to upgrade for the possibility of maybe a few titles (I'm speaking of dts 24/96 here). While the 4802 may appear better on paper, I don't think it will knock the top dog off. Recall, the same comparisons were made about the 4800 and the 5700. Did the 4800 make the 5700 inadequate somehow? If so, somebody better tell all the satisfied 5700 owners. [​IMG]
    This just doesn't happen with Denon, either. It happens with every manufacturer. The word is PROGRESS. It's the nature of the game. If you choose to be on the absolute bleeding edge, having hardware capability for software that doesn't exist, well, then- sit down, shut up, and open your wallets- wide. [​IMG]
    Todd
    P.S. If someone has a 5800 that they want to sell me cheap (without that poor imitation of a Pronto is fine with me), I'll be glad to consider offers. [​IMG]

14. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

I was actually just thinking outloud here guys. I am completely aware of the upgrade, but who knows what it will cost. Everything is just rumor now. As for the 4802, there is one available now for sale on eBay, and that same individual is selling them outright for $1849. I do plan on keeping my 5800 if the upgrade includes at least most of the features mentioned above, and is affordable.

15. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you would be stupid. Wait for the 5802-it will only be a few months behind the 4802.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

16. Gerald Levin

Gerald Levin Auditioning

If you have to ask.....

17. Jeremy Hegna

"I am also sure Jeremy meant to say "flexible bass management".
    I did. Apologize for the abbreviated explanation.
    Jeremy

18. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

19. Will

Will Guest