would a cheap receiver suit me better?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by gab_, Jan 17, 2005.

1. gab_

gab_ Stunt Coordinator

after countless hours of reading, I have seemed to become more lost. I need a new receiver, and have been considering the pioneer 1014 or the onkyo 602. but, here's the problem: I really have entry level speakers(~$500). better than htib, but nothing too fancy. at what point is a good receiver bottle-necked by the speakers? would I be wasting the potential of the 1014/602 with my setup? would I be better suited with a refurbed 502? keep in mind, in a few years, I will be upgrading everything, so keeping the receiver as my primary will not be a huge factor. here is my current setup:

-sony SSMF550H towers
    -sony SSMB150H bookshelves
    -sony SS-CN550H center
    -dayton 10" tiny mighty sub

thanks in advance.

2. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

When you do upgrade, I'd upgrade the front speakers first, then the subwoofer, then the rest. In the meantime a $300 Onkyo 602 would still make what you have sound far better than say a $150 receiver would...though I admit I have never auditioned the 502 which is probably about $120 less than the 602 if you buy it refurb.

It's a hard call, because the sony speakers that I've heard do sound really bad.

On the other hand the next level up after the $400 pio 1014 is probably $1000 plus...is that somewhere you really plan on going?

Another considering is the ridiculously cheap all-digital receivers out by JVC and Panasonic that run $200-300 and supposedly sound even better than $1000 receivers. You could always try those.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Here are my two cents: Speakers make the greatest difference in sound, but only you can determine if you like the sound they produce, because they will sound different to different folks, in different locations. Therefore, you need to listen to them at home, so make sure you buy from a place you can return them after listening (just in case). A good receiver is a must but that all depends on your needs- 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, how many inputs, outputs, and what types, etc. Most receivers within a given price range will pretty much share similar features and do most of everything you need, but what you need, what you can afford, and how far you want to go in the world of HT is up to you. The two you mention are both fine, although I think many here would steer you toward the Pio for its feature. I personally would get the receiver and then upgrade the speakers because that all depends on your ear. The force be with you!
    José

4. gab_

gab_ Stunt Coordinator

maybe I wasnt really clear on the question. let me rephrase...would the 1014/602 be too good of a receiver for what I have? would the performance onkyo 502 be equal to that of the 602/1014 with what I have now? I am finishing up school right now, and the tentative plan is to move my existing gear to a game room, and start fresh. but, this won't happen for a few years. so, for this question, the receiver that I buy now will never be used with the speakers that I eventually get. I don't have a problem spending the extra cash for a better receiver, but only if would give an audible difference on my current speakers.

5. joseFMJ

joseFMJ Stunt Coordinator

The 1014...why? The MCACC has a 5-band equilizer built in whith automatically equalizes all your speakers for the best sound, yes, even your 'crappy' speakers. It will get the most of your current speakers and when you are ready to upgrade your speakers it will be another big jump in sound quality. The 602 cannot do that. I would only buy a cheaper receiver if I could not afford the 1014. Granted you may not be able to really push those speakers at or above reference level, but at moderate levels you will be surprised how good it will make those sony speakers sound.

6. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

JoseFMJ makes a good point, I've never heard the 1014 myself, but even a 5-band EQ should help out a lot if you have substandard speakers.

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    IMO there would be little difference in sound quality between the 602 and 502. Mostly a tiny bit more power and a few more features. They say you should spend twice as much on speakers as on an avr though I dought most of us have. These two points, along with your future upgrading, lead me to suggest the 502 which has received thumbs up as an entry avr around here. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of equalization and the 1014 might just make a big difference in sound quality. Especially with less than stellar speakers (sorry Sony). And reading reviews and specs/features on the 1014, you may not need to replace it. If I were in the market for a new avr, the 1014 would be at the top of the list. In short, if near future plans include a $1500-2000 avr, get the 502 for now. Plans for anything less than a $1000 avr and you should get the 1014. Just my pennies worth.

8. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

The higher end receivers also come usually with more inputs and outputs and even though you might not take advantage of the receiver with your speakers, the # of inputs or other features might be benefecial.

Todd

9. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

look into the panasonic xr-50 digital receiver..I made the change and haven't looked back..granted it replaced a JVC receiver, but this thing is awesome and for the price it's definitly worth a look..

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have a Pioneer VSX-45TX, one of their first with MCACC. It replaced a very respectable Sony ES model. I had also been considering a new set of speakers (I was running sorta entry level Energy bookshelf speakers at the time).

After running MCACC I abandonned the idea of getting new speakers. The EQ feature made my old ones sound so much better. I would definitely recommend the 1014, it will make your present speakers sound noticeably better than they do now.