What's new

Would a Canon EOS 7D would be too much for a beginner (1 Viewer)

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Hello All, I have been using good old Point and shoot Nikon coolpix for quite some years now. I wanted to upgrade and get a DSLR since it gives a wide variety of possible lenses that one can use. I mostly shoot pictures whenever I am out on vacation or one of those "weekend trips". I have dedicated time for photography like an hour or two to get all the good pictures and capture the moment. Then I also shoot on family gatherings and once a while I also do casual photography. I don't do sports. I mostly do landscapes and general photography. I also try a bit of adventure so i cannot rule out the possibility of again going to wildlife parks. i would love to shoot there.. I do videos as well that is the reason i was more inclined towards the Canon EOS 60D since it has a tiltable screen and good video shooting options like the adjustable Sound input. I am new to DSLR but i have had used DSLRs from my frnds/family. I know some basics fundamentals like the ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed etc. I would love to have the different shooting modes. My budget was around > $1000 for a camera and spend another $1000-1500 on lenses. But I just cannot rule out the 7D since it has more AF points than the 60D. Also i felt the body of the 7D more appealing and convenient than the 60D and also the layout of buttons. so i decided that i will spend those extra $$$ for getting a 7D. is the 7D more for the professionals and Advanced users and will be too much for a beginner with DSLR like me?? Any and all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The 7D is definitely more of a "prosumer" camera and one major indication of that is the absence of the Portrait, Landscape and Sports shooting modes found on cameras like the 60D. If you think you want those modes, then stick with the 60D.

The 7D video mode may also disappoint, not in terms of image quality, but functionality. You cannot really use the camera like a typical camcorder, as there is no active autofocus while recording. Though you can initiate an autofocus "hunt" through a button push, much as you would when shooting a still frame, it is slow (much much slower than in photo mode) and most people wind up editing those "focus check" portions out of their video. There's almost nothing "user friendly" about shooting video with the 7D, but if you have the knowledge and skill you can definitely shoot some amazing stuff.

If you are really interested in getting into the nuts and bolts of photography, the 7D will certainly give you room to grow. However even the most basic Canon DSLR will afford you the same opportunities, and at a much lower price point, and with access to the same family of lenses and accessories.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you are going to learn how photography works the 7D is not too much. If you are going to use it like a point and shoot, save your money. I hate Canon's weak ass autofocus diamond, not sure what system the 7d ha, but if that's what is compelling you to spend more on a camera than you have budgeted for you are not asking the right questions. See line #1 above.

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Thanks for the reply Cameron, Sam. As i said i am a beginner in SLRs and the only use i have done of SLRs is with my friends and family. I want to explore photography and I was hoping to get a good camera which can last long. I was opting for 7D only coz of the build quality. I want good AF on the DSLR while shooting videos also. I am not a Canon Fanboy so Nikon is also an option. One of my friend is a Pro-Photographer who shoots for magazines and Clothes brand and he suggested me the Nikon D7000. He agreed to help me understand the features of D7000. But I was leaning towards the Nikon D5100 because it is Nikon's latest camera with good video shooting options. I really don't know how to justify the price of the high end expensive prosumer cameras. The question i would again ask is whether the cost of the D7000/EOS 7D has great advantage over the 60D/D5100. I mean is it really significant or is it the law of diminishing returns. Once again thanks for reading and being patient with me. Zammy K

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
newbie1 said:
I am not a Canon Fanboy so Nikon is also an option. One of my friend is a Pro-Photographer who shoots for magazines and Clothes brand and he suggested me the Nikon D7000. He agreed to help me understand the features of D7000. But I was leaning towards the Nikon D5100 because it is Nikon's latest camera with good video shooting options. I really don't know how to justify the price of the high end expensive prosumer cameras. The question i would again ask is whether the cost of the D7000/EOS 7D has great advantage over the 60D/D5100. I mean is it really significant or is it the law of diminishing returns.
I second the suggestion of the Nikon D7000. Especially since you have someone to help you learn it. One of the things I see at photography forums, is why people choose one brand over another. People have said that the Nikon menus and buttons are easier to navigate and use than Canon's. I agree. Also, almost every lens that Nikon has ever made will work on today's Nikon cameras. You may lose auto focus with some, but still very usable. You can get a lot of user info on the D7000 at the Nikon Cafe forums: http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/index.php by people that own and use them regularly. You'll find the answer to whether or not it's worth the money. I, personally, own a D7000 and love it. I'm slowly building up gear to use with it. I'm like you. I just like to take all kinds of pictures for the fun of it. I got a 70-300mm lens for wildlife shots, and hope to get a macro lens and grip this fall. I got a speedlight flash I'm learning too. You can spend a lot of money in photography, just like you can with home theater, RC cars and planes, and even stamp collecting. Having nice equipment makes the learning experience easier and more fun, I think. Plus, it holds it's value better. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As a beginner, the worst thing you could do is pick a DSLR based on their video capabilities _today_. Maybe in a year or so, but.... I'm a nikon Fan, I wouldn't dissuade you from buying a D7000, tho I use Canon as well. But don't buy any camera based on video shooting, unless it's the 5Dm2 =/ Anyway, longer advice, it's a bit out of date but still holds: http://www.navesink.net/2009/12/my-advice-to-people-who-ask-me-about.html

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From the Canon side, while the 7D is a terrific camera (I own one), it is probably overkill based on your intended use. If you want something that does include video capabilities, then your options in the Canon family would be the 60D or one of the recent Rebel models. As mentioned by others, though, do not expect a dSLR to function in the same manner as a camcorder for video. It takes more work and attention to detail (especially focusing) in order to shoot video with a dSLR, although the results can be outstanding. I selected the 7D over a 60D for numerous reasons, but I doubt that most or all of those reasons would apply to you. Those reasons included: 1. Better autofocus system (I shoot wildlife and a little sports) 2. Better viewfinder 3. Control layout was much closer to my then current dSLR -- a Canon 40D 4. Compact flash memory instead of SD (same as my 40D) 5. Had a bad experience with an articulating LCD screen on an old Canon Powershot G3 (60D has this, 7D does not). 6. Three custom shooting modes on 7D versus one for the 60D I never use the "automatic" modes -- sports, landscape, etc. -- so the lack of those modes on the 7D didn't matter to me. In fact, I like not having the mode dial cluttered with those modes that I never use. I prefer the xxD or xD models over the Rebels from an ergonomics viewpoint. My first dSLR was a Rebel XT, and I will never go back to the Rebel line due to the more cumbersome controls. However, some people like the smaller form factor of the Rebel models. You should check out both the Rebels and 60D to see which you prefer. As for Nikon, I will defer to the Nikon owners here, as I've been strictly a Canon shooter.

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Thanks for your replies Sam, Scott. The reason I wanted a dSLR with video capabilities is because then i will have one camera and i dont need to switch gears for shooting videos. I agree that 7D has good capabilities and it is really a good camera. I also like the build of it and i tested it out at BH photo video and it felt great in hands. I also checked out the 60D and Nikon d5100/d7000 and i would say that 7D was the most fun i had while using. Although the cost is too much to justify for a new user like me. I am still browsing and looking at videos, reading materials on 7D and Nikon D7000 so that i am not in surprises when i get one. I will be going out again to B&H to check them out and probably ask for some assistance there. Thanks for being patient and for your opinions. I feel a bit educated already :) Thanks Zammy K

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
newbie1 said:
The reason I wanted a dSLR with video capabilities is because then i will have one camera and i dont need to switch gears for shooting videos.
Make sure you try out the video mode on whatever model you are considering beforehand to make sure you are comfortable with the differences from a regular camcorder. We just returned from a week-long vacation in Yellowstone, and decided to leave the camcorder home. I'm not big on taking videos, so my wife usually uses the camcorder. This time, she didn't feel like messing with it, so I used the 7D to take some short video clips of some wildlife and geysers. This was my first real "field" use of the video feature, and it's definitely much more difficult and cumbersome that shooting video with a camcorder. You must pre-focus, then use the LCD instead of the viewfinder as you switch the camera to "Live View". After that, you must focus manually while looking at the rear LCD screen -- not an easy task in bright sunlight. You really need to use a tripod, as well.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The D7000 can automatically focus when doing video. You set it to do it. It's not perfect, but good enough for most people. Here's videos to watch that were made with the D7000. Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDL76TlTttc&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiLWEoN07-o&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDr5c65bOz4&feature=related

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Thanks Scott, Ed. For the 7D, as what i have learned is that it is not a Friendly camera as in terms of shooting. It is good but a bit tedious if I am not wrong. The tripod is good but always not feasible idea coz by the time I am able to set it up, i might have missed the clip i wanted to take. D7000 is the camera which has the upper hand in this i guess. I will try both the cameras and also ask the Sales person to walk-me thru the shooting options. I have narrowed my list down to these two. Also, I am thinking of saving the extra $$$ buy taking the D7000 and spending on extra lenses. But I am still confused in between these two. Is the extra money for the 7D worth it over the D7000? Or is the D7000 and 7D on the same level. Once again fellas, thanks for ur replies and being patient with me. I am thinking of investing in a future proof camera which will last long and fulfill all my needs. Thanks, Zammy K

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would guess that a tripod would still be a very good idea when shooting video with the Nikon since you still need to frame the shot using the rear LCD screen, but I'll let one of the Nikon shooters chime in there. I was able to take a few handheld video shots of some thermal pools with my smaller, lighter 17-55mm f/2.8 lens, but shooting video with the larger 100-400L telephoto really required a tripod. I did get a couple of decent handheld clips with that lens of a bison using a fire hydrant as a scratching post in the parking lot of our lodge, but anything at a distance absolutely needed a tripod. I also used a tripod for video clips of a couple of geyser eruptions (Old Faithful and Daisy), and they turned out very well. One other thing that messed me up was the different aspect ratios of still shots versus video. When shooting video, you need to leave a little more room on the top/bottom of the frame with the 100% viewfinder of the 7D. I would guess you will run into a similar issue with the Nikon, unless the viewfinder has some indicator for the video frame size (the 7D does not).

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Thanks Scott for the info. I am leaning more towards the 7D coz of all the good things I hear. I was not planning Nikon until recently But thanks to one of my friends who told me about them and how it is better option than 7D monetary wise as well.I was planning to get a Canon 50mm/F1.4 USM lenses, and the EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM lenses apart from the standard lens it comes with i.e. the 28-135mm it comes with. I am still confused as in shall i get the L lens or not. I don't want to overspend and but i really like to get some closeup shots of birds and architectural structures. I will mention that i did not had researched well into Nikon products as the way i did for canon. Could you guys suggest me lenses in Nikon that are similar to the ones in Canon as in pricewise also. I am not that well versed with Nikon products although i continue to browse their websites. I will consider getting a tripod and later a flash. Although a trip still waits to B&H later this sunday and then i will decide what to get. Thanks for ur suggestions and replies and being patient. Zammy

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Regarding your lens choices: 1. I would pass on the 28-135mm, and just get the 7D body-only. Then, add either the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS or EF-S 15-85mm IS lens. The 28-135 is an old lens, and it's not wide enough for use on a crop sensor, IMO. I do not understand why Canon includes it as a kit lens for the 7D. They must be trying to dump their supply. 2. Is your intended use of the 50mm for portraits, or general use? If it's the former, then that focal length is fine. If not, then you may want something wider as a general purpose fast prime. Personally, I have a Canon 28mm f/1.8 for this use. I have the Canon 50mm f/1.8, but rarely use it. Also, the 50mm primes are probably Canon's weakest part of their lens lineup compared with Nikon. 3. I would consider the 100-400L as more of a specialty lens for wildlife, zoos, air shows, etc., than a general purpose telephoto (you mentioned architecture). Canon makes some excellent 70-200mm L lenses that I would consider for more general purpose use. I own the 70-200mm f/4 L IS, and it's probably my best lens. There is a f/2.8 version, too, that is also considered superb (but more expensive, and bigger/heavier). I would suggest starting slow with lenses until you figure out what you really need. Lenses will end up being the biggest expense you incur in establishing your kit, but this can evolve as you figure out what you are missing. When you are just starting out, if you buy a lot of lenses, you may find that you acquire some you really do not use (like me with the 50mm f/1.8). I would suggest starting with just the camera body and a general purpose zoom (17-55mm or 15-85mm), and then add the telephoto or fast prime later, once you know what you really need.

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Thanks Scott for your reply. I would say that the suggestion of starting slow with the lenses is really a good one. I never thought of it. Seriously. I thought of building a kit which i "think" i want. But as you said it would be more wise to start with a normal lens and figure out what are my needs and shooting type/style. I was thinking of not taking the 28-135 as well coz I read some not so great things about them. Instead i was thinking the 17-55mm lens (Although it is somewhat expensive) as you suggested. But since canon offers it as their Kit package, i thought of going for it. Regarding the 50mm lens, I was only consider it for general use. I don't do much portraits. I only take portraits when i have my small cousins over the place. I was considering it for day to day use. I want to do more wide angle shots, But to be honest, I don't know which lens to go for! I was considering the 100-400mm lens only for architecture and Outdoor shooting once a while (Since I go to vacations on adventures only once a year). I visit different places so I was considering mostly for architecture and general shooting. But the 70-200 i guess will serve the same purpose. I am not that much educated in lenses coz normally when I used Nikon i used to use mostly the 18-55mm lens. That is like the mostly used lenses. So having the 17-55mm would be great. Thanks for your reply regarding the lenses. I am not so well educated about them. It was really very informative.

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Hello Guys, I have decided to bite the bullet and go with the 7D. BUT i have one question. I have read various comments by people that 7D is poor in focus i.e. it has focus issues. But with 19 AF points how come it can have any issue? Is it bad AF or manual error? Any thoughts or experience of using 7D is welcome. Thanks for the replies.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Again, I reference the 9 point diamond AF that the 5dM2 has, which is weak, I do not have any experience with the 7D AF but haven't seen anyone raving at how good it is...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The 7D's focus system does get very good reviews, and is a significant improvement over the AF system of Canon's other bodies -- aside from the 1D professional line. However, learning how to customize the settings for various types of shooting can be involved, so many of the complaints about the system come from people who have not taken the time to learn how it works. I upgraded from a 40D to a 7D, and the AF system is significantly different in how you can configure it. If you take the time to learn how to use your camera properly, the auto focus performance should be very good. There are some excellent 7D tutorials on Canon's website here, B&H Photo's website here, and at www.photography-on-the.net.

newbie1

Auditioning
Real Name
Zammy
Thanks for the replies guys... Scott, i went to YT to search for some settings of the videos and I learned some great bit about it.. So I will now go ahead and get myself a new present.... And I have decided to go with the 15-85mm lens with it for starters. then i can upgrade as I figure out my shooting styles. Thanks for the replies ... Watch out :D I will be back with some questions when I get my new present.. Thanks for ur replies and Patience

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks