Worth using AVIA to calibrate 2.1 (or possible)?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by KellyR, Mar 21, 2004.

1. KellyR

KellyR Agent

I'm getting my home theater off to a slow start but it's coming together. I have two Klipsch SB-1's that I am using for fronts now but I plan to make them surrounds later on this year when I finish my HT. As far as Subs go, I just got a Yamaha YST-SW315 and it should arrive at my house within the week. My question is, would it be good to use AVIA and my SPL meter (radio shack) to calibrate my speakers and would the test tones in AVIA be benificial since it's really for 5.1 systems? I know it's only stereo but I would like to have the best sounding system I can until this fall when I finish everything up. Any suggestions on what to do (including any little changes in technique for calibrating) are needed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

It will help calibrate volume levels between the sub and fronts.

3. KellyR

KellyR Agent

Any special considerations to take into account or should I just follow AVIA's directions and skip all the speakers that I don't have?

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Yes.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You have a TV right? Well, then it's worth it for video especially. IMO, that's the MOST important part of the calibration side of things is video calibration. Get it for that if anything.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

It's worth it. Just remember, use Avia as a guide, and then listen to familiar CDs and when you get there, DVDs, and adjust the sub's level until you're happy with it. The Radio Shack meter is less sensitive at lower freqs, which means that if you calibrate straight across with Avia, the sub will be 3 dB or so too loud.

7. KellyR

KellyR Agent

Thanks guys, I'll get around this next weekend to setting everything up with AVIA.