What's new

Worth Upgrading these movies? (1 Viewer)

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have been very busy working out of town for the last 7 months in NYC(Boilermaker)can you say cha ching!!

Anyways, have been out of the loop for awhile and I'm looking at my dvd collection and I have some old titles in there and was wondering if there were better copies out and are they worth the upgrade?

The Fugitive (original release)
Twister (original release)
The Rock (original release)
Lethal Weapon 1-3 (original release)
Predator (original release)
Platoon (original Live release)
Young Guns (original release)
First Blood Rambo (original release)
Cliffhanger (original release)
Stargate (original release)
Armageddon (original release)

I am also thinking of getting my first Superbit Dvd and wanted your thoughts on The Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, and The Mask of Zorro as a movie in general and as a Superbit release. These movies I have only seen one time and enjoyed all 3 (I think) so would like to watch them again with my system.

I have a Toshiba 56" Wide TW56F80, Denon 4800 receiver, and a old but still highly respectable Sony 7000 dvd player(wish it had DTS though) Hsu VTF sub and soon to be upgrading Bose 501 V series R,L and Bose VS-100 for C,RL,RR

Thanks for looking and any thoughts would be great!

Pete

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Hey,

Upgrade the following:
The Fugitive-> SE with Red trim on front cover.
The Rock-> Criterion
Lethal Weapon-> Director's Cut
Platoon-> MGM SE
Young Guns, First Blood, Stargate-> Artisan SE's

Lethal Weapon's DC footage imo is useless, but the picture quality is much improved being on a dual layer disc.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Twister in dts is very good.

Of those others that I have experience with, I agree with The Rock (Criterion Collection) for its commentaries and documentaries on weapons training, and The Fugitive for its nice price.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Of your originals i have upgrades of The Rock (Criterion) and Stargate (Ultimate). Both very much awesome. I'm holding out for a SE of The Fifth Element, especially in wake of the newly announced loaded R2 2-disc edition.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Fugitive (original release)
Twister (original release)
The Rock (original release)
Lethal Weapon 1-3 (original release)
Predator (original release)
Platoon (original Live release)
Young Guns (original release)
First Blood Rambo (original release)
Cliffhanger (original release)
Stargate (original release)
Armageddon (original release)
The Fugitive - The special edition with red trim on the cover sports a new 16x9 transfer mastered in high-definition. The film is also presented on a dual-layer disc with additional special features.

Twister - The new special edition has a new 16x9 transfer mastered in high-definition with the option of DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 along with additional special features.

The Rock - The Criterion special edition is a two disc set with a 16x9 transfer mastered in high-definition. The special edition also has the option of either DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1.

The Lethal Legacy - The director cuts are worth picking up in my opinion. Not only that, Lethal Weapon 2: Director's Cut has a 16x9 transfer. You also have the option of either DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 for the films.

Predator - The new version with the silver banner is more than worth it to pick up. A 16x9 transfer with eitehr DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 sound.

Platoon - The new special edition from MGM Home Entertainment has all the special features from the Live release and has a 16x9 transfer.

Young Guns - Again, the new special edition has a 16x9 transfer with the option of either DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 sound.

First Blood - Special edition has new 16x9 transfer, more special features, option of DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1.

Cliffhanger - Personal preference here since the 16x9 transfer is the same. Additional special features are included and the film is presented on a DVD-9.

Stargate - The Ultimate Edition finally presents both versions of the film in 16x9. Both versions also have the option of DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1.

Armageddon - The Criterion special edition is the director's cut of the film.

As for Superbit titles, unless you can output DTS...stay with the standard/special edition releases.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Everyone has pretty much summed it up, but heres my opinions:

The Fugutive is definitely worth it. Improved audio and video, and the supplements are nice:

The Rock is a 2 disc SE with improved audio and video. Includes a DTS track. In my opinion most of the supplements are fluff, and the Criterion edition is a bit pricy.

Lethal Weapon 1-3 are all directors cuts, but most of the added scenes are very short, and barely noticable, except for one long schoolyard scene in the first movie. None of these movies have any real extras to speak of, but the audio and video are improved from original versions, and as already stated are one of the very few Warner DTS tracks available. If you REALLY want to see a good Lethal Weapon documentary, pick up LW4.

Platoon SE...the MGM release is infinitely better. Throw away that Live edition as fast as you can!!!

Stargate SE...same as the Platoon disc...get rid of that original disc, especially if you have the Artisan flipper version. The new SE has drastically better picture quality and is 16x9. The DTS track is great, and so is the commentary (which is the same as the second Artisan release).

I have no comments about the others.

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies everyone has been more than helpful.

I guess my next question is any news on any of these titles coming out again in the near future to hold off on a buy today? I heard someone say something about another The Fifth Element coming out.

Well I pretty much have to upgrade all the titles I listed because I really never watch them due to the fact these copies STINK.

Again buy today or is there something in the near future worth waiting for?

Pete

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Hi,

Don't mean to distract, but you may wish to ask for advice on the speaker upgrade too, under speakers. Or just search under Bose. From what I can tell, that may be helpful too.

Thanks for the thread; I'll be checking out my old Fugitive copy tonight.

d

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
DEFINATELY GO WITH THE ROCK!! You've never seen such beauty in a transfer.

Twister
All Leathal Weapons
Fugitive
Platoon
First Blood (big improvement.

Don't even think about Armageddon (and thanks not my hatred from Ben Affleck coming out either - CC didn't even put it in 16x9 enhanced!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Don't even think about Armageddon (and thanks not my hatred from Ben Affleck coming out either - CC didn't even put it in 16x9 enhanced!
To be more accurate...Buena Vista Home Entertainment did not provide a 16x9 version of the film. BVHE provided transfers and materials to Criterion. Criterion designs menus, artwork, and layout. BVHE handles distribution.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The original Stargate was one of the worst transfers I have ever seen. I don't know of any title that has as much edge enhancement. The UE was a major improvement in both video and audio.

I refuse to buy The Rock until it is 16x9.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php?sid=3528

r2 double disc on november 24

The Fifth Element Special Edition takes you on an adrenaline filled journey to a new dimension of sumptuous visuals, stunt-packed set pieces and spectacular explosions

Credit: Pathé Distribution Ltd Release date: 24th November 2003 Certificate: PG (TBC) Price (RRP): £19.99 Feature running time: 121 minutes Catalogue No: P9056DVD Language: English Subtitles: Hard of Hearing English Original Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (16x9) Sound Quality: 5.1 DTS / 5.1 Special Features:
Special Effects audio commentary with Mark Stetson, Karen E. Goulekas, Bill Neil and Ron Gress
Making of Documentary - Discovering the Fifth Element
Special Effects Featurette - Imagining the Fifth Element
The Art of the Fifth Element with Jean-Claude Mezieres Featurette
An Audience with Diva Plavalaguna Featurette
Elements of Style - Jean-Paul Gaultier Featurette
Trailers & TV Spots
Launching the Fifth Element – the Cannes Opening Night Party
Storyboard and Production Notes
The 6th Element Essay

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
So the Criterion The Rock is not 16x9? The Description at Deepdiscountdvd says anamorphic widescreen? Also a previous post says it is, just wondering?

Pete

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
You may want to hold onto that Live Platoon though. May as well since you wont get anything for it if u try to sell it.

The MGM Platoon SE version is a nicer transfer,and does have the Live extras included, but it doesnt have the color correction/tweaking that the Live version does.

I had the Pioneer LD and the Live DVD and when I watched the MGM version the difference was very noticeable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks