What's new

Worth upgrading speakers? (1 Viewer)

djc11369

Agent
Real Name
Darrin
I recently upgraded my receiver to an Onkyo TX-SR706 to get the benefits of 7.1 audio. My speaker system is about 10 years old now (Sony SA-VE305 micro satellite) with the exception on 2 new Polk cheapies (RM6751) that I added for the extra channels. While there was an audio difference from my old receiver with the new HD audio formats I would say it was modest at best with the biggest difference coming from the extra speakers. So I'm wondering if I will really notice a dramatic difference by upgrading my speakers. My room is about 13' X 25' but is an open floor plan so it's really about 26' X 25' with a partial wall dividing the rooms. I've been looking at the Polk RM95 w/PSW110 sub and the Definitive ProCinema 800 system. I'm hesitant to spend the money if I'm only going to hear a minute difference but the tech junkie in me is inclined throw caution to the wind. I have to keep it Mrs. friendly so satellite or modestly sized bookshelf are my options. I'm not much into music so home theater is my only concern. Any thoughts? Is it worth it? I'm lost in speaker specs as they all look very similar to me, there's no place around here to go listen to them before hand.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Darrin

You will see a big difference if you upgrade with almost any speakers over the Sony's. Go out and listen to as many speakers as possible in your price range and consider SVS speakers as well, you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Good Luck!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I've always found the upgrade difference is much more significant with music than it is with HT. That being said, assuming you have a budget that will allow you more than a negligible upgrade, I agree with Doug that you'll certainly notice a difference. Tell everyone your budget and describe the environment you'll have the system in, and let people offer you their recommendations.

djc11369

Agent
Real Name
Darrin
$1200 is my target. The area I live in is semi remote so internet ordering is pretty much the only option with no chance to listen to anything before hand. I have a Best Buy here but they don't stock most of the stuff they sell online and what little they do have the items are either not hooked up properly or just don't work. They're usually overpriced also, lets just say I'm not a fan of theirs. Is Sony really that bad? They're the only reference I have to go against besides the cheap Polks which sound similar...maybe a little louder. I see not a lot of people here are fans of Sony products. Probably the only thing I can think of to add to my environment description is behind my listening position is a half wall (raised ranch/split level style home) that the rear surrounds set on. I've been looking at the Mirage nanosats also, any opinions on those?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

A $1200 budget will certainly bring you upgraded sound. Having a "real" HT subwoofer in the mix alone will make a huge difference. I was afraid you were going to say you had much less of a budget and just wanted another HTiB solution. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that your budget is much more flexible and will allow you to obtain a nice set of speakers.

I'd definitely second David's suggestion...I've been an SVS customer since 2002 and they are a class act with excellent products. One of their speaker packages with one of their subs and you're good to go.

djc11369

Agent
Real Name
Darrin
Thanks for the link. I do have speakers on the side also as I have a 7.1 setup like so THX Home Theater 7.1 Speaker System Layout

Not exactly like the link, such as my backs are much closer to my listening area and not 60 degrees due to the fact that the Mrs. has an input into where the furniture goes.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Is there any other decent choices out there other than SVS? They definitely look nice.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I too am looking to upgrade my speakers (and receiver). Am I correct in thinking the SBS-01 speakers only come in black? That wouldn't make the wifey very happy.

djc11369

Agent
Real Name
Darrin
Johnny, yes that's all I see. I think I've pretty much decided on the SVS sub from all the reviews I have read, although I'll probably have to go with the entry level box type because of size. The SVS surrounds are kind of big for my areas so I'm still trying to get some feedback on others out there, they would have probably been too small if I was still a bachelor. :laugh: There seems to be a gray line, at least in my eyes, between what's considered bookshelf and what's considered satellite. I have read positive professional reviews on both the Cinema800's and the Mirage nanosat prestige. I'll end up going over my $1200 but if I have them for another 10 years then I think it's worth it. I was hoping to get some real world feedback from people who have similar sized rooms. The idea behind the nanosats sounds great, but my room isn't what I consider small and isn't shaped like a box. Plus a semi new technology doesn't always mean a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks