Worth upgrading my Sony NS300 DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Hiter, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Chris Hiter

Chris Hiter Stunt Coordinator

I got this player as a starter and was wondering if I would tell any difference in picture by upgrading to a better DVD player. I would like to stay in the Sony family but if there are better deals out there, I am willing to go. I have a 32 in. Wega so it may be a little easier to tell some differences. I was reading up on the 7000 progressive scan and it seems pretty good(and yeas I realize the progressive scan won't do anything for my tv). I want CD-r playability and maybe MP3 but if I won't be able to tell the difference in picture then I am not sure if it is a good move to upgrade right now. Thanks for any advice

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, I am skeptical as to whether the Sony 'NS700P would give a better interlaced picture than your 'NS300. You could always try it. If you stepped up to something like the 'NS900V or the 'S9000ES, then you could very well see a difference. It's hard to say. Maybe someone with direct experience with these players can comment. Of course, you get CD-R compatibility with the more expensive Sony models, including the 'NS400D, I believe. None of the Sony models play MP3-encoded CDs.
    You could also look at players by different manufacturers. The video characterisitics of DVD players (softer, crisper, chroma bug, no chroma bug, etc.) varies with manufacturer, so if there is something you don't like about the picture you see with the 'NS300, maybe a non-Sony player will be more to your liking. The majority of DVD players by other major manufacturers play CD-Rs, and many play MP3 CDs as well. Take a look at players offered by Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) to construct a list of possible replacement players.
    Best of luck in your search.

3. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    If you are happy with your DVD picture/sound quality why upgrade? If you really have the "upgrade itch" (I know that feeling all to well) [​IMG], you may want to wait a couple of months. I know Sony and Pan. have new models on the way. As Keith said don't limit yourself to just Sony, while I think Sony makes some great DVD players, there are may other great brands out there as well.

4. Chris Hiter

Chris Hiter Stunt Coordinator

I am kind of happy with my player but I am wanting it to do more and also the picture does not seem as crisp as I really want it to be. I have heard talks of the Pani R56 and Toshiba 4700 and 5700. Anything on these?