Worth upgrading from Sony DVP-NS700P to DVP-NS900V ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I have a chance to sell my 700P and upgrade to the 900V for about 500 bucks, but I’m not sure if I should spend the money or not.

I know the 700P supposedly has the dreaded “Chroma Bug”, but I haven’t really seen this to be a big problem on my Toshiba 50H81.

Does anyone have the 900V and know if the bug has been eliminated or not ???

My Lexicon processor doesn’t support SACD, so I wouldn’t be able to use that feature yet anyway without some kind of add on interface.

Shawn S

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Shawn, surprisingly, I haven't read too much here about the 'NS900V. I thought people would have been all over it by now. [​IMG] If you are happy with the 'NS700P, then maybe you should stick with it. Note, however, that you should be able to play stereo SACDs through your Lexicon by using standard stereo RCA inputs. Does your Lexicon have an analog bypass mode? I don't know what you meant when you said you can't play SACDs. I assumed you meant that the Lexicon has no 5.1-channel inputs. SACD aside, you might want to see if the more money gets you a better picture with the 'NS900V.

3. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

I picked up this player a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. I was able to haggle it down to $779.00 at a local home theater store. So I think upgrading to the 900V for about $500.00 is a bit much depending on what you paid for the 700P.

As for the dreaded Chroma Bug being eliminated or not, I can't say. I haven't noticed it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have it. I in fact don't want to look for it, nor do I want to know. My reasoning is simple, I've never seen the Chroma bug so I don't know what to look for, and should I look for it and see it, then I'll notice it forever thus ruining my viewing pleasure. Ignorance is bliss. Sorry I can't answer that one for you, I realize that was your big question.

If you don't plan on using it's SACD playing ability, then I'd say you would be missing a large portion of what the 900V's ability give's you, thus eliminating a large portion of the whole point in owning this player.

If you do plan on using it's SACD ability, then by all means I'd recommend the 900V based on my experince thus far. I don't think you'll know if you'll like it or not till you try it though, so buy it from a good source with a good return policy should it have the Chroma bug, pending on whether or not that's a deal breaker for you.

If you've got any more questions feel free to ask. I'll warn you though, I'm not one of those people who has the knowledge or ability to pick apart a player and find all it's flaws. Especially now that I own it. But I do know a little about it's technical stuff like it's bass management feature for SACD's. The bass management feature may not be as robust as other players or other stand alone equipment, but it's better than nothing, and from my understanding nothing is exactly what quite a few players have in the bass management department.

4. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

Sooooooooo.....I’m guessing that this player isn’t real popular here then.

Shawn S

5. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

Well, my guess is that the 900V hasn't been out too terribly long therefore there's not many forum members that have one to make a comment about it. And, or you hit the nail on the head and it isn’t real popular. Given the popularity of the Panasonic's here, it might also be that people aren't giving the 900V a shot. Add all the above with the Chroma bug being present on the 700P it could also be that everyone's leery of the 900V still having it also. I'm hopeful that The Secrets DVD player benchmark will get updated and the 900V will be tested.