Worth upgrade to floor standing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Duke, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be picking up a Denon 3803 in a couple of months, and I'd like to get a couple speakers to utilize 7.1. Currently I have the Polk RM6600 sat/sub package and I am happy with it, however I can see where more mid-bass would be helpful.

I'm thinking about adding a nice pair of floor standing speakers to this set up, and sliding my fronts now to the rear. My question is whether I should stick with Polk for the new fronts or if another manufacturer might be better if I've calibrated correctly. I've heard some good about Paradigm and Klipsch, but will they sound good if matched with a Polk RM 6600 and run through a Denon 3803?

2. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I have Denon 3801 running Axioms M60ti and I love the matchup. If you're keeping the Polk center I suggest to stay with Polk to match them up.

3. Jon Duke

Bry_DD..

Do you also have the RM 6600? I know Denon's are considered to be warm, and the Polk's are somewhat neutral. So if I put something in like the Polk RTi 70's it should be a good match, but other brands intrigue me. If I can get something else better why not go that route, but I don't want a HT that sucks until I spend the cash to upgrade everything else.

The plan is to slowly upgrade the speakers all around, with the center channel being the next to go. I would match that with the fronts.

4. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

Don't have the 6600. I have Axiom M60ti for the L/R and Axiom VP150 for center. I Have B&W LM1 for the side and rear surround. I'm very happy with this setup. Also the front 3 speakers I think I only spent $1030 if i'm not mistaken.

5. Jon Duke

Would a bookshelf speaker be a better fit with the RM 6600 package? I've been reading about the advantages of bookshelf speakers and those might be a better way to go than towers...

Any thoughts?

6. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

Having been in the same situation I will comment. It works well using the RM6600 for 7.1 surrounds.

You can't set your crossover to 80HZ for the mid bass because the RM2300 speakers in your RM6600 package will not work well when set to anything bellow 100HZ. They only can go to 100HZ, or as least thats what Polk says. If you want more mid bass you need to get speakers that can go to 80HZ at least. The RM6600 series needs to be broken in very carefully. They are very fragile speakers. Bookshelf speakers are the best value I think but I never listened to any of them. You might also want to consider a new center channel. The center channel was my only complaint. I upgraded to floor standing speakers from the RM6600 becasue I didn't want to buy more speaker stands or mount them on the walls again. I also wanted to match my front speakers.

The Denon 3803 is a very good choice. I have heard B&W Paradigm, Klipsch, and Bose. They were nice but I recommend you stick with Polk.

BTW I have some 70 dollar Circut City speaker stands I would sell cheap.

7. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

To anwser the question... "is it worth it?"

Yes, and then some. It can also be major overkill if your not carefull. ;-)

8. Jon Duke

This is where it becomes difficult living up in Maine because there just aren't any dealers that have Denon, Klipsch, Paradigm, and Polk. But, I think the RM2300 sats will be good for 7.1, I'm just not sure what I want to match them with in the front.

I've always liked Polk, partially because the discounts from being a Circuit City employee were huge, but I hear many rave reviews about the Klipsch/Denon combination. With the prices so close, I'll probably go with a floor standing speaker just so I won't need to buy stands.

I'm also concerned that a Klipsch set of fronts will seem too harsh when compared to the more neutral Polk surrounds.

9. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

new england hi fi in falmouth is a fantastic place. i know they deal in klipsch and paradigm. tweeter in south portland has denon and klipsch as well as boston acoustics (great speakers....but i am biased [​IMG] ) plus down the road is circuit city where you can find your polks. i know how you feel, up here in maine we don't have a ton of places to go but in the greater portland area there are those few, you'll just have to make a day of it, which is what i did on saturday. good luck.

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

my bad new england hi fi is in scarborough not falmouth. just checked the website. www.nehifi.com

11. Jon Duke

What about potential problems with matching different brands of speakers in the same home theater? Can calibration fix many of these problems, or could drastic differences between brands become distracting?

12. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

i think a lot of it depends on which speakers in the setup would be different brands. if you decide to get different brands i would make sure that the fronts and center all are the same brand at least. this will make for seemless sounds going accross the front sound stage. i don't think the rears will matter as much because much less information is sent to them usually. the other thing is the type of speakers you would go with. if your front have and aluminum dome tweeter and the center is horn loaded you may have some definate blending issues. of course we can only do what our wallet allows us to do [​IMG], so if you are doing a little at a time and have one big goal for the near future than do whatever seems to work best for you in the long run and not just the now. good luck.