What's new

worth to upgrade my TX-SR500 to denon 1803? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
im afraid i have fallen pray to the upgraditis. my onkyo receiver sounded ok, but it just made my klipsch synergy speakers sound a little too bright. i have read that denon makes warm receivers so im hoping it make a better match with my klipsch monitors. I found the 1803 at pcmall (sells authorized denon refurbished products) and costs $299 + shipping. Did I make the right choice or am I losing my mind? :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Onkyo and Denon sound similar to me. For music, I kind of prefer Onkyo's sound, while I was more impressed with Denon's HT capabilities. I listen to a lot of music, so I went with Marantz instead. I don't consider Denon "warm", but with the right gear, they do sound good.

Between those two, I'd say there is not enough of a difference between the two to justify the change. I'd have saved longer and stepped up to a 2803 or 3803.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I agree that the two brands sound similar. However, while I own and love Onkyo, I think the SR500 is a kind of week receiver (as is the Denon 1603). I say access your needs, then plan an upgrade. If you only need 6.1 or less and if you think the wattage of the 1803 or SR600 is good then go with one of them. If you think you want 7.1, more connections, and pre-outs, then go with the 3803 or SR800.

To be honest though, if your unhappy with your sound, it's probably the speakers. You could also put your money toward upgrading the center and mains.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff:

Denon's described "warmth" comes from a slight mid-bass hump, not an overall warmth. Thus it would not address your problem which sounds like the combo with your Klipsch speakers is too bright.

If you want to upgrade to a good receiver for Klipsch speakers, look into a harman/kardon. You can get a h/k 125 for $322.49 from One Call (www.onecall.com), which will be much warmer and smooth out that horn tweeter in your Klipsch speakers. Don't be fooled by its rated 45 wpc x 5; it has more real power than your Onkyo.

Good luck

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Like Mark, I think HK is the best receiver for Klipsch. Now that the AVR320 and AVR520 are older models, you can find them cheap. I've seen the AVR520's go under $400 on ubid.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks